1879-o Ms65

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by betcha618, Jul 24, 2007.

1. betcha618

betcha618 New Member

If you guys could help me put a value on this coin i'd greatly appreciate it.

I aquired it from a friend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. codydude815

codydude815 Wannabe coin dealer

First off, get it graded by NGC. Then after an ACCURATE grade we can give you a better estimate. Although, it does look like a very nice coin.

4. Shortgapbob

Shortgapbob Emerging Numismatist

It actually looks like a very nice coin to me, and a decent strike for an New Orleans piece. I would get it graded by NGC or PCGS.

However, I hope you didn't pay too much money for the coin, as their is a large price jump from 64 to 65 for the 1879-O (from about $500 to nearly $4000). To me the coin looks like a solid 64, but not quite a 65. NTC is a dangerous slabber to work with, as they often overgrade coins just like this, where one point can mean thousands of dollars.

5. betcha618

betcha618 New Member

i aquired it, i paid nothing. So from what your saying, by the looks of it you'd say about $500. if its a 64 like you believe.

6. betcha618

betcha618 New Member

while i have you guys here I also got this coin from my friend too. any idea of the estimated value of these. its PCGS certified.:

[​IMG]

7. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

Both are very nice coin...though I concur with the previous replies and say you should get the morgan graded by PCGS or NGC. It looks like a solid MS64 in my opinion, but not quite a 65. As for the eagle, I don't know exactly how much more valuable the special label makes it ($100-200 is my estimate) so I'll just say...nice coin. :D :thumb:

8. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

For the 2001 "WTC Ground Zero Recovery" Silver Eagle, I would advise checking the completed auctions on eBay! They may be the best source for gaging the current values of these coins.

As far as the 1879-O Morgan Silver Dollar, I somewhat agree with Shortgapbob! Get the coin regraded by PCGS and see what the grade it receives and then you will have a better idea as to the value. I believe that the coin is a solid MS-64 but since most New Orleans minted Morgan Silver Dollars are generally weak strikes, your's may get bumped up due to the extremely strong strike. Also, you might want to take a closer look at the coin as there is quite a bit of Counter Die Clashing on the Reverse and if there are any Clashed Letters, then it may be a listed or even an unlisted VAM.

Frank

9. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

Yep.

I gotta say - for an NTC slab it looks really good. Those guys are awful - but this piece looks nice. I agree with the 64's above. Send it to NGC or PCGS.

10. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

NTC is a lot better than most. They do tend to overgrade but at least they're a legitimate TPG unlike SGS, NNC, and others.

11. Shortgapbob

You make a point. They are definitely a third tier slab, but at least they use the 3 grader consensus method (or so they claim) and are not a self slabber.

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

NTC, at least in the early days, was very conservative.
    I have two Walkers in unc, a 1943 (NTC -MS-64) and a 1944 MS-65.
    Both would grade that by any TPG'er.

How they are today-- who knows.

13. betcha618

betcha618 New Member

thanks guys.
    huntsman what exactly does this mean:
    "Also, you might want to take a closer look at the coin as there is quite a bit of Counter Die Clashing on the Reverse and if there are any Clashed Letters, then it may be a listed or even an unlisted VAM."
    srry i'm new to this.

14. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

betcha,

Most folks leave off the Counter and just refer to Die Clashing or Clashed Dies! Die Clashing is when the design elements from one Die (in this case the Obverse Die) are transferred to the opposite Die (in this case the Reverse Die) and are transferred to the coin but are incuse. This happens when the two Dies collide because no planchet made it into the Striking Chamber. Counter Die Clashing usually happens when already Clashed Dies collide again and again, transferring and retransferring design elements which are transferred to the coin but are obtuse. There are other ways that Counter Die Clashing occurs but I won't go into these ways at this time.

If you look closely at the Reverse of the coin, you will see design elements from Miss Liberty's hairline (mainly the "V" of her hair below the bun) between the Eagle's left wing (on your right as you are viewing the coin) and the Wreath. There are also facial elements (lips, chin and maybe more) between the Eagle's right wing and the Wreath. Also, there are remnants of Miss Liberty's neckline protruding from the middle of the Eagle's right wing to near the "n" in "In" of "In God We Trust" and there appears to be something to the Southwest of the feather fletching of the arrows. There may be more that I have not been able to identify from the pictures. If any of these areas show a Clashed Letter from "E PLURIBUS UNUM", "LIBERTY" or the numbers in the Date, then the coin is considered a VAM. The latter area noted to the Southwest of the arrow fletching and the area around "We Trust" are areas to look for Clashed Letters.

Frank

15. Shortgapbob

The largest problems with some of these third tier slabs like PCI, SEGS, NTC, etc., is consistency. There are good coins to be found in all of the slabs, but there are many overgraded coins as well. Then, they miss things like cleanings, alterations, etc.

16. ozland tiger

ozland tiger Senior Member

It has been my experience that in general, NTC usually grades two points on average higher than either NGC or PCGS. What I am suggesting is your coin likely will grade as a MS 63 coin. The other thing I have seen is NTC isn't as strict on altered surfaces as NGC or PCGS so it isn't a sure thing your coin will cross over to NGC or PCGS.

17. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I agree with this statement. I believe my father has purchased two NTC coins and both have crossed over into PCGS holders(off course he removed them from the old holder before sending them in). I also believe 1 came back 1 point lower and the other 1 was two points lower. I do have to admit both were nice coins, but they were cheap enough and with the crossover he might actually make a few bucks if he sells. He has done the same for a couple of other lower tier graders - I think one was even a HCGS. So far he has done good in my opinion. Just have to be careful and make sure prices are reasonable.

18. betcha618

betcha618 New Member

DOES THIS make them worth less money?

19. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

That Morgan might well be a 65 especially since it is a New Orleans strike which is very clear. My question is, if you didn't buy them, how did you aquire them?

Ruben

20. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

No, in some types they are collected, but they also don't add value, unless there is something very unusual with the clash.

21. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

betcha,

No! While some VAM's add little if any value to a specific coin (Date, Mintmark and Grade), some are rare and add hundreds and sometimes even thousands of dollars to the value. To give you an example: An 1882-O Morgan Silver Dollar in VF-20 is generally worth about $20 and an 1882-O/S "VAM 4 LDS" Morgan is worth about the same. However, an 1882-O/S "VAM 3 LDS" in the same grade is worth about $60, the "VAM 3 EDS" is worth about $120 and a "VAM 4 EDS" is worth $3,500. VAM's (Van Allen-Marris Variety Morgan Silver Dollars) are assigned Rarity Factor numbers in pretty much the same manner as other error and variety coins. There are also a Hot 50 and Top 100 lists which note the coins that are most sought after. Although you must become a member to get the regular Pricing Guides for the VAM's, the VAM World website offers a lot of information concerning VAM's as well as links to other websites. Check them out at www.vamworld.com but be patient as it takes the site awhile to load. Also, check out www.ashmore.com for more information on Morgan VAM's.

Note: LDS stands for Late Die Stage and EDS stands for Early Die Stage.

Frank

Draft saved Draft deleted