1879 Morgan value

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Christopher290, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Christopher290

Christopher290 Active Member

Hello everyone, I have this Morgan dollar that I bought a few years ago for a small price and I was wondering how much it is worth. There are a few scratches on the obverse of the coin but other than that it seems to be uncirculated. Thank you guys, Christopher

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. New Windsor Bill

New Windsor Bill Well-Known Member

Looks good but let the pros take care of this one.

4. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

Definitely circulated...the blossoms and monkey fist are worn...14M minted, very common date...BTW, in case you have not heard it a hundred times, don't hold/touch coins in your bare hands. IMO it might be xf...worth about $35. Welcome to CT.

brandon spiegel likes this.
  5. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly

brandon spiegel likes this.
  6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Looks to have been cleaned that said no more then melt I would say.

7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to the lodge! Nothing else I can add about the coin.

8. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Worth $20-25 at current spot price. It's a circulated and cleaned common date.

9. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

There is absolutely nothing wrong with holding a coin with bare hands, but as a general rule should only be handled by the edge. With this particular example though, no harm, no foul.

10. fish4uinmd

With this piece you are correct...for numismatic value, NEVER handle with bare hands.

11. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Never say never.... you can handle them with your bare hands, your hands just have to be made of cotton first :)

And yes, i am full of it today :p

fish4uinmd and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  12. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

We owe people the respect of trusting their intelligence and not trying to force them into generalized platitudes about numismatics. That teaches nothing.

Go ahead and handle this coin, Christopher290. Yes, there are a large number of coins you do_not want to handle, but common circulated Morgans are not on that list. Look at it realistically - hundreds of people have already handled your coin. You won't do it any worse than they did.

Were it a Mint State example, or a significant rarity, I would advise more caution. But, c'mon, man. Be real. I carry a Morgan in my pocket.

Cascade likes this.
  13. BooksB4Coins

You're not very familar with how coins, everything from very modest to extreme "numismatic value", are handled each and every day, are you? I understand; it's a common assumption that gloves are necessary, but also an incorrect one. Don't take my word for it, but please do invest the few necessary minutes it will take to familiarize yourself with the facts.

If one wishes to wear gloves, that is, of course, fine and is a personal decision, but to put forward the idea that your way is the only way without mentioning the downsides (such as loss of dexterity) is doing a disservice to the very person you're trying to help.

14. BooksB4Coins

Perhaps you should enlighten them...

medjoy likes this.
  15. fish4uinmd

Didn't say it was the only way...you are being argumentative...which I think you enjoy...OK, chu hoi, you win!

16. BooksB4Coins

No?

Silly me...

If simply pointing out fact and countering misinformation makes me "argumentative" or again the bad guy, so be it.

17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I wouldn't be caught dead handling any coin with gloves on. If it's a 5 figure coin, even more so ;)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  18. BooksB4Coins

Uh oh... an edit; what'd you really say? ;)

19. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I spelled the second "gloves" as "cloves." Nice try though books ;)

Oh, I also quoted you and put "^^^This^^^" when I meant to quote SuperDave's post. That must be why you called out the edit lol

20. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Thank you for posting this.

Draft saved Draft deleted