1879 Morgan mint mark

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Chip Kirkpatrick, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Chip Kirkpatrick

Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

Figuring out what is and what is not an error is harder than trying to understand a woman’s mind.

Ok that is a gross exaggeration. After nearly 45 years with my wife I’m no closer to understanding her than when I started.

But I’m still puzzled over what is an error, post mint damage, grease filled dies, well, you know. So tonight I’m perusing the mint mark on this 1879 Morgan dollar and I’m not sure what has happened to the mint mark. So please broaden my understanding of this...whatever.

Many thanks and forgive the pictures. 16B5CF20-F15B-4468-9920-4E7E5039ABB8.jpeg B584EDC4-5066-4A57-A5E0-510D0C3F0041.jpeg D87A7F6C-3897-4C4B-9B81-44B04ABDB88F.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Kind of agree, but mine is more with what is an error and a variety. There are many minting errors that are moderately worthless, such as filled dies (which I think yours is) and MAD (mis alligned die strikes) and those that are worth big bucks.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Chip Kirkpatrick

There is nothing unusual about the mintmark on this 1879 Morgan dollar. From the (partial) images that you have provided, the coin has been heavily circulated and the mintmark has merely been "pushed around and worn down".

Chris

5. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Start assuming it's circulation wear and hits from other coins. Really look to see how the metal got pushed around...

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks like circulation wear. All we have to go by are close ups of the area in question. Look at the entire coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted