1879 Morgan dollar?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Nosaj, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Nosaj

Nosaj Member

20181202_115140.jpg
    I have this 1879 Morgan dollar and I took it to a local coin shop to have it checked out. The guy weighed it and measured it and says it is the correct weight and size but it's a fake. I was surprised to hear that and asked why, he said that the lettering was not correct. So I grabbed my red book and I am confused about how it is not the right lettering.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Dunno, but the lack of detail all through the center of the eagle sure looks questionable to me. Also I do think the bases on the reverse lettering look too fat.

4. Nosaj

Nosaj Member

Is it possible that it's a error? When looking at the bottom pic from the red book they are very close in size.

5. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I wish others more knowledgeable than me would comment, but I vote fake. The numerals in the date, the "mushy" stars, the lack of detail on the eagle's legs, all look off to me.

6. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

Mushy strike and stars and date looks off too. Probably not real.

7. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

It looked good to me until I took a second look. The numerals in the date are wrong - especially the 7 and 9.

JAY-AR and Oldhoopster like this.
  8. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

That coin is ALL wrong and the dealer you spoke with has a good eye. The 1st thing i noticed was that the date digits are off, but what REALLY seals the deal is- the arrow feathers on the reverse. 1879 P is supposed to have a slanted top arrow feather(rev of 79)
    Your coin has a parallel top arrow feather which was only used in 1878 on Philly mint examples.
    Edit- meant to say those arrows feathers arent technically correct for 1878 either, just that, they are off enough to confirm it fake

Where did u acquire this coin?

dwhiz likes this.
  9. Nosaj

Nosaj Member

I got it off of wish.com and thanks for your help.

10. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I dont know what wish.com is but return it if you can.

11. Nosaj

Nosaj Member

Unfortunately I can't return it, I got it earlier in the year and been to long. Guess I have a great paper weight now lol. Oh well, is what it is. Thanks again.

12. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

Yes, unfortunately wish.com is notorious for selling fakes. Chalk it up to a learning experience.

Nosaj likes this.
  13. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

Good catch. Wrong top feather for a Philadelphia 1879 Morgan.

Here's the slanted top arrow feather (Rev of '79) that appears on every genuine 1879 Philly Morgan.
    [​IMG]

A parallel top arrow feather (Rev of '78) appeared on most 1878 Morgans.
    [​IMG]

No-One-Asked Part I: Some 1878 Philly Morgans have the Rev of '79.
    [​IMG]

No-One-Asked Part II: The San Francisco Mint produced some 1879-S Morgans with the Rev of '78.
    [​IMG]

And that's about 90% of my specialized Morgan knowledge. Mostly, it just gives me a headache. But plenty of folks love that stuff: VAMWorld.

14. Nosaj

Nosaj Member

Sweet! Thank you for the help.

15. TheFinn

And what did wish.com charge you for this piece of metal?

16. Nosaj

Nosaj Member

I believe it was $15.00 I paid for it.

17. TheFinn

So about the same price as for a real dollar. Wow. These kind of people are going to hinder coin collecting and scare people off.

18. Nosaj

Nosaj Member

That price included s&h so that was total. Either way it is what it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted