1879-CC Morgan looks fake ***PICS***

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mycohopper, Apr 13, 2010.

1. mycohopper

mycohopper Junior Member

Browsing eBay, I came upon a seller who auctions lots of rare Morgan dollars. There are several characteristics about this seller and his products that raise my attention.

1] ALL of his coins are raw, not graded, but in AU-MS condition (these are $200 - $9,000 coins)
    2] 90% of the Morgans he sells look like mirrors (advertised as "proof like fields".. very fishy)
    3] Some of his coins have questionable mint marks (see below link)

Take a look at this 1879-CC Morgan - particularly the mint mark. The "CC" is big and it's centered [[​IMG]]. The authentic coins I've browsed through all have the first "C" directly above the outside curve of the "D" and the second "C" ends before the "O" begins. This coin, however, does not exhibit either of those traits. I'm looking through his other coins - maybe something else will support my suspicion.

Here's the link to the auction. Keep in mind.. this coin sold for $6,900 :yawn:
    BUT! only after he listed it for sale for $8,500 the first time.. it didn't sell.. he then relisted it for $7,995.. didn't sell either. That's a $1,600 price difference in less than 2 weeks from his original price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1879-CC-Morgan-Silver-Dollar-BEAUTIFUL-KEY-DATE-RARE_W0QQitemZ320515489860QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_US_Individual?hash=item4aa0364044

Pics for those of you without eBay [I don't blame you :D]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What say you?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marauderrt10

Marauderrt10 Toners rule******

that seller is known for using metal polish on coins.

4. se-collectibles

se-collectibles Collector Extraordinaire

He could be a coin doctor, but I think he's just very good at taking exaggerated pictures of average coins. Look at his non-positive feedback. That and his high-dollar uncertified coins are enough to make me think he's not on the up-and-up.

Edit: i hadn't read the above post before posting - apparently he *is* a coin doctor... but my supposition about his picture taking stands...

5. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

good coverup pics, not too much light, just a bit angled to hide any imperfections.

6. mycohopper

mycohopper Junior Member

How exactly does he manage to only polish the background of the coin, and not the letters, stars or objects?

7. Opus007

Opus007 Junior Member

Someone just paid MS-63 for an Ungraded Coin. And it is not MS-63.

8. mycohopper

mycohopper Junior Member

Can anyone validate the mint mark on this coin?

9. Anokanite

Anokanite Junior Member

I got the copy I ordered from China today. It's very hard to tell. See if you can see any details that differ.

10. nesvt

nesvt Coin Hoarder

1879-CC used the type V mint mark... the largest of the 5 sizes.
    Of the seven known varieties, all but one have the mint mark shifted left.
    VAM 6 is centered (like the ebay coin), but it has other features I can't make out in this photo.
    VAM 6 shares the same reverse with 1880-CC VAM 3. I've linked the image below. With my eyes, I can't tell if it's the same.

[​IMG]

11. maxxy_coin

maxxy_coin New Member

Hi

Which website do you buy this fake Morgan dollar? I want to buy some and do they have 1883-S 1$ Morgan Silver MS 65 and 1879 cc 1$ Morgan Silver MS64. Please give the websites most of these guys are fraud online so, which the genuine website that I can buy and keep it as a collector item.Thanks.:hail:

12. Marauderrt10

Marauderrt10 Toners rule******

[​IMG]

13. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

IMO this coin appears fishy....

14. Kevo

Kevo Junior Member

15. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Apparently eBay agreed with you. The listing went bye-bye.

16. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Yeah but you know it will pop up again! be on guard for this bad boy!

17. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

The back of the Morgan looks odd...

18. rld14

rld14 Custom User Title

The listing went bye bye because the thread originally started in April :)

There's one question you need to ask yourself... seeing the huge premiums that many PCGS coins can bring, especially on eBay, why wouldn't you spend $50 on a $9,000 coin? Or, as often heard on the bourse floor "Why is that coin raw?"

Draft saved Draft deleted