1879 Britain Farthing half cent in AU.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Braydon, May 23, 2015.

1. Braydon

Braydon Make your own history, with history you can own.

She's got a little lack luster. But strong detail on both obverse and reverse. I'm asking only for GBP not USD.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Well, based on what I can see, I wouldn't call that AU... more like XF. You'll need to post a picture of the obverse in order to get a better grade and value estimate.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. Braydon

Braydon Make your own history, with history you can own.

The detail in the wheel, makes it an AU. And if u want to see the obverse, you can buy it.

5. Paul M.

Sorry, I didn't realize you're selling. You posted in "What's it worth."

6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

I would grade it as Fine using British standards.
    Its not a Half Cent its a Quarter Penny
    2 Farthings = Halfpenny
    2 Halfpenny = One Penny

afantiques and Paul M. like this.
  7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

It is not AU by any standards, there is wear to the wheel and Britannia`s robes.
    Catalog value is about £1, I can get them by the bucket load, I wouldn`t pay anymore than 5 cents for it.

Seattlite86 and afantiques like this.
  8. Paul M.

That translates roughly into XF in American, doesn't it?

9. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Borderline very good to fine, on a good day. And so far, this is not a good day...

10. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

If that is AU then i guess all of my VF sets must actually be mint state on the British grading scale!

11. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

CT 1926 GB Penny.jpg If the OP's coin is AU, what's that make mine? It shows a little wear here and there, more on the reverse than the obverse, and I would say more luster than usual for a circulated coin...

Incidentally, the front of the big Krause books has a page called "Standard International Grading Terminology and Abbreviations." There is no separate listing for Great Britain. It appears as "U.S. and English Speaking Lands," but the table includes Brazil, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, etc., through Sweden. So now the idea of British terminology comes into some question.

charlietig and spirityoda like this.
  12. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

The OPs coin is VF in the USA system based on the reverse photo. No way it's AU. Sorry.

13. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I can't help it, but it's not a wheel. It's a shield.

14. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

AU ? lol I would agree a Fine grade.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I got a better idea. Stick that obverse in your reverse.

Travlntiques, 712 and charlietig like this.
  16. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I may have been a bit generous calling it VF basing the blurring as much on a poor picture as on wear. It's calling UK coins 'cents' that gets my goat.

Like davey says, not all that valuable, I probably have one similar in the odd farthings tin in my shed.

Although we British use the same grading terms, I think we tend to be rather stricter with the use of them. AU is a bit hopeful, EF is more realistic for a coin that shows signs of any wear, but you'll still se it used.

.And of course, all UK dealers and most collectors are well experienced at grading since we see no need to have any third part do it for us.

That's not to say many dealers, although experienced, are not also optimistic with their verdicts.

tulipone and doug5353 like this.
  17. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Sorry pal, but that's not AU or even XF... I'd pay up to $5 for something like that since those are a little harder for me to get than @daveydempsey

18. Ken Walker

Ken Walker Member

1879 Small 9 type, common date. It look only Very Fine with dirt between letters? Value £1.00 or £2.00 at best

19. ottotornesi

ottotornesi Member

By the man a set of spectacles

20. Derry

Derry Member

Your penny looks like MS-64 RB or better.

Braydon likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted