1878p 7TF morgan

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bigbruiser94, Jul 6, 2015.

1. bigbruiser94

bigbruiser94 Active Member

Got this today I do believe it's been cleaned but got to looking at it with my magnifier and realized part of the D in dollar is missing is this a die polishing error kinds like 3 leg buffalo nickel

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. EasyE418

EasyE418 Ca$h Money collector

Does indeed look like it has been polished

4. OxJaw

OxJaw Senior Member

5. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I don't collect Morgans so I'm not sure what VAM it is , but it's been polished away . I love stuff like this .

6. DMPL_dingo

DMPL_dingo Well-Known Member

It is a VAM, though regardless, this coin has been cleaned in my opinion.

The hairlines running parallel at a 45 degree angle on both the observe and reverse are a classic sign of a “whizzed” coin. Certain plastics enclosures can produce similar appearance, but not to the same degree and with the same uniformity.

I also see deeper polish points in the fields as well, diminishing against the details & highpoint approach. I’d return the coin if I were in your position (and hopefully if the opportunity is still available). Best of luck.

7. bigbruiser94

It matches 195 perfectly now that I looked at all the places with a magnifying glass

8. DMPL_dingo

Nah. It’s authentic, just cleaned.

Your coin:
    2.jpg
    Genuine Reverse (via VamWorld Image):
    1.jpg

9. bigbruiser94

Not saying its not cleaned just saying it matches the 195 vam

DMPL_dingo likes this.
  10. DMPL_dingo

On the same page there. I’d still return it if opportunity available. That was a beautiful coin until the seller harshly cleaned it. The above melt value is minimal, comparitvely. Best of luck.

11. DMPL_dingo

Looking closer, I don’t believe this matches. Try and provide a higher res. version of the MM. The die looks polished away rather than authentic variety IMO.

12. bigbruiser94

Hollow Spot by eyes and nose and nostral almost gone IMG_20150706_233741.jpg IMG_20150706_234002.jpg

DMPL_dingo likes this.
  13. bigbruiser94

Point of fourth star missing IMG_20150706_233921.jpg

DMPL_dingo likes this.
  14. bigbruiser94

Place through the bottom of I through B

Attached Files:

15. DMPL_dingo

Nice eye. You answered your own Q. cheers.

bigbruiser94 likes this.
  16. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Authentic, cleaned VAM 195. Common variety. The broken D is from a broken hub, not overpolishing. Same for the broken star point on the obverse. The broken D hub was retired quickly, either due to the planned shift to the new reverse (slanted arrow feather/Rev. of 79) or because it was noticed right away. The broken star tip is on many 1878 coins of all mints.

bigbruiser94 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted