1878-P trade dollar (yeah, right...)?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by -jeffB, May 11, 2013.

1. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Stop. I've never stalked you or your posts. If you cannot respect a simple request and/or don't want to answer and simple question, that's fine. God forbid.

Maybe we should talk about something FUN.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

How about those L. A. Kings???????

4. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

David Lawrence pics , maybe !!!!! Books your knowledge on Liberty Seated and Trade dollars die marriages astounds me sometimes . I for one appreciate all the work you've put in to answer questions on Trade dollars that I or others have had . Just like Doug proves you don't have to be a collector to know coins , though I'm willing to bet that in the past you were a collector or dealer or both .

5. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

While I think that the % of raw common issue trade dollars sold on, say, eBay is not all that high, I am fairly sure that the % of raw CC mint TD's sold on that venue that are fakes is at least 50% if not higher (based on my own observations without keeping a strict count).

6. Morgandude11

Disagree strenuously. If you're not a collector, you do do not know coins. Certainly, if one no longer collects, they only have past, not current knowledge of coins. Those who have not collected at all only have academic knowledge of coins-- that is much like teaching education courses, without ever having taught. It is trivia awareness, not firsthand experiential knowledge.

7. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Most people who collect Trade dollars know how to tell Type I and Type II obverses apart . Now though they have letter additions for other markers that I never knew about , and believe me I've read every book on Trade dollars or about their use I can find . Now Books was the one who introduced me to these new markers , and also went out of his way in some of the so called fake Trade threads to make lay overs with Photoshop to point out that some of these Trades could indeed be real . I for one appreciate someone who has enough love of Numismatics to share their knowledge no matter how they've come across it .

silentnviolent likes this.
  8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Hmm. If you can only have "non-academic" knowledge of an item by collecting it in your own two fists, where does that leave astronomers?

I think collecting can provide a special kind of motivation to gather and retain knowledge, but I can't agree that there's knowledge you can only gain by being a collector.

rzage and silentnviolent like this.
  9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You don't have to own or collect something to be an expert on the topic. You don't have to collect to have current knowledge. Do you actually believe some of the stuff you post or are you just wanting to argue?

rzage likes this.
  10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

QUICK!

Call Dave Bowers and cancel all of his books!

The last that I heard he only collects CWTS (or something like that).
    He doesn't collect coins!
    Tell him that Morgandude called him out on his writings.

rzage likes this.
  11. Morgandude11

Deleted--you are entitled to your opinions. I do not wish to fight.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  12. Morgandude11

Deleted--you are entitled to your opinions. I don't wish to get into a fracas here. Thread ignored.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Post like this don't end it. It fans the flames. I'm finished trying to understand what you said after all the edits. I won't bother you again.

14. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

He also collects antique music boxes!

15. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Morgandude, just because you collect antique music boxes, doesnt mean you know the correct percentage of fake trade dollars. I fail to see the correlation between the two.

16. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Guys, we're really running off the rails here, to the point that nobody's quite sure who's saying what. I apologize for my contributions to the derailment.

Let's drop this tangent, please.

17. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

so obviously he doesn't know dirt about coins

18. Morgandude11

Antique music boxes? LOLOLOLOLOLOL. I hate music boxes and cuckoo clocks. This is getting hysterical.

19. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Ok, this is enough. All of you have opinions, and so do moderators, and my opinion is that it stops now. Percentages based on unknowns are as ridiculous as some of the opinions given here, but as everyone can do, I ignore responding. People, choose your battles well and your opinions even better, or the value of your statements will be much less than you imagine. Luckily you have the choice of reading or not, moderators do not. Use your choice with responsibility.

Morgandude11 and Ed Sims like this.
  20. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

It's Q. David Bowers that collects music boxes.

21. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Well Q and morgandude should have lots of stuff to
    Talk about.

Draft saved Draft deleted