1878-P trade dollar (yeah, right...)?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by -jeffB, May 11, 2013.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yeah, I'm not going to be backing up the truck for raw trade dollars based on this single experience. :)

PCGS CoinFacts had this interesting tidbit about the 1878-P issue, from Q. David Bowers:

I wish I knew where this coin went between the time it left the Philadelphia mint and the time it ended up in a California jewelry dealer's junk bag...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Can you please cite your source?

rzage likes this.
  4. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Some of us here are pretty good at spotting the real from the fake too

ldhair likes this.
  5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

MD , which tpg said that as that seems way too high .

7. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I'd be curious to hear who says that too. I do see a lot of fake trades I also see quite a few real ones. Unfortunately a lot of the real ones I see were damaged cleaned chop marked etc so it can be a challenge to buy a raw trade that's worthwhile that being said it's NOT for the novice coin buyer unless you really know coins and the series stick with a slab

Morgandude11 likes this.
  8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Ditto--
    You beat me to it.

Do you realize that 54.3% of statistics are made up.
    :)

micbraun, CamaroDMD and Mainebill like this.
  9. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

NGC has estimated that 80%-to as much as 90% of the Trade Dollars are either counterfeit or "replica copies." The Trade Dollar is universally counterfeited by one and all--as a collector, I would take the "guilty until proven innocent" route with raw Trade Dollars. As regards being able to identify a fake, many experienced collectors have been fooled, as the level and quality of counterfeit coins has gone up in the past 10 years. "Magnet" tests and weights don't apply to many of these better "struck" specimens, that have been pretty expertly crafted. No offense--if you wish to buy raw ones, do so--knowing that it is a risky venture. The OP got lucky, and got a coin that has a history and is genuine. I am happy for him

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
    Kirkuleez likes this.
  10. Morgandude11

Deleted

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Wow. He just ask a simple question. I was wondering who said it as well.

12. Morgandude11

Yes, perhaps I overreacted. Why should one have to prove their opinion (supported by TPG determinations) that most raw Trade Dollars are counterfeit? I felt I was being sniped at for being cautious about a series that is ripe for coins that are often copied by both cheap and skillful fakers. If I offended anyone, Mea Culpa--I was wrong in coming on so strong. However, I do hold to the view that most raw Trades should be viewed as suspect. I deleted the caustic reply in the interest of good will, and differences of opinion, and admit that I was wrong.

Hookman and LostDutchman like this.
  13. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

I heard it was more along the lines of 71.27%

Morgandude11 likes this.
  14. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Yeah, but there is only a 75% chance of that.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  15. Morgandude11

C'mon, don't give incorrect information. We all know it is a 79.088 % chance. Be accurate. :) :) :)

16. BooksB4Coins

Come on, David... you don't have to prove your opinion, but you weren't giving your opinion...

And as for this lovely bit of deflection...

You're right, I am not, but what does this have to do with the subject at hand? Does the fact that you do collect have any real effect on the issue at hand? There is and was no need for a simple and respectful request to cite your source to be met with such nonsense. No one "sniped" you, but since you're claiming the information was taken from a TPG, it shouldn't be a big deal to share said info with the rest of the board.

rzage likes this.
  17. Morgandude11

There he goes again--belligerent all the time. I was nice enough to delete the original post and offer an apology for coming on so strong, but this is what I get? Some people are not fixated on the coins, but the accuracy of their opinions.

18. BooksB4Coins

If there was any belligerence in what I said it was because you, even in a later post, felt the need to state that you had to defend your opinion when this is clearly not the case. Stop the self-flattering deflective nonsense for once and answer the very simple question.

19. Morgandude11

Who are you to demand answers-- a non- collecting agitator, who has stalked my posts before.

20. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Hey fellas.... Take this to PM if it's really that deep.... Hash it out there. This isn't the place to settle these kinds of issues.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  21. Morgandude11

Fine with me---I was stating my opinion on the authenticity of most raw Trade Dollars. No desire to argue in public. I did delete my original post, and softened the tone to keep it about the coin only.

Draft saved Draft deleted