1878 Morgan...which grade?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by petronius, Nov 27, 2012.

1. petronius

petronius Duke

My last acqusition, last saturday in Verona, at the biggest italian numismatic fair.

1878 Morgan Dollar for Philadelphia...which could be his grade?

morgan1878Pd.jpg

morgan1878Pr.jpg

petronius :smile

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

4. texmech

texmech Wanna be coin collector

Funky around the date. Looks to have been cleaned. Not much luster, at lease based on the image. I think AU 55 not far off

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If this is a photo rather than a scan, then I would think the absence of any luster would indicate that it has been cleaned.

AU Details - Improperly Cleaned

Chris

6. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Chris, I agree. The luster is absent, and there are minor hairlines indicating a cleaning. I blew up the photo quite a bit (attached), and one can see the swirls of a very harsh cleaning very clearly on the obverse. Grade= Au details, improperly cleaned.

morgan1878Pd.jpg morgan1878Pr.jpg

7. cpm9ball

David,

On a side note, we will probably need an extra large table at the NGC Luncheon at FUN. Besides the Morgans you are bringing to show me and the Morgans I am bringing to show you, I will also have my set of ANA Convention medals with me. Shane will be with us at the table, and he always has some "nice finds" to pass around. And, Larry (are you reading this?) I hope that you will join us at the table, too!

Chris

8. Morgandude11

Sounds good to me. When we get closer, we should also contact other folks who will be at the FUN show. I will probably bring my Kennedys (toners and brilliant proofs) as well. May stay over on Friday and come both days--although I don't want to stay on I-drive due to the insane crowds. :)

9. cpm9ball

There are nice hotels right on Universal Blvd. less than a mile away. The rates aren't too bad, but you better not wait too long. They tend to fill up quickly.

Chris

10. petronius

petronius Duke

It's a scan, not a photo, but I agree that it has been cleaned, and the details are AU.

Another question.

At the same numismatic fair, I looked for a Morgan 1888O, certified MS-64 by PCGS.

Which could be a right price? I know that these dollars are more expensive in Italy than in US, but anyway I can have an idea from your opinions, and contact the dealer for negotiate the price.

11. Morgandude11

Yeah, I know that area also. I have friends Celebration, so I may stay there (out US 50). :) Thanks!

12. cpm9ball

Have you seen the 1888-O? This date/mm is known for a notoriously weak strike. The central devices of Liberty's ear and the hair above can look like a flat blob. The same is true for the eagle's leg feathers and talons on the reverse. If it has a good strike, you can probably get it for $80-100 (USD) depending on your negotiating skills. If it has a weak strike, you might want to pass.

Also, you might want to familiarize yourself with the VAM's for this date/mm. There are many "Top 100" for the 88-O, and PCGS won't bother attributing the VAM if it wasn't paid for when it was submitted.

Chris

13. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

AU55 and cleaned would be my guess.

14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

AU55 & cleaned is my guess too.

15. petronius

petronius Duke

I've seen it, but only few moments, I was not able to study it very well.

The dealer in Verona said € 110 ($ 142), I think it's too much.

Draft saved Draft deleted