1878 morgan is this great condition or no?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by K.O., May 11, 2015.

1. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The difference between a silver 'dip' which properly used will remove tarnish without scratching is that a dip is purely chemical, whereas 'cleaners ' such as yours unfortunately have 'silica' ~ quartz dust or other as an abrasive. See the MSDS

Product Code:
    014, 317
    Printed: 8/13/2009
    MATERIAL
    SAFETY
    DATA
    SHEET
    Comply with OSHA'S Hazard Comm
    unication Standard, 29 CFR 1910.1200.
    SECTION 1 – CHEMICAL PRODUCT AND COMPANY IDENTIFICATION
    Product Name:
    Wright’s Silver Cream
    Manufacturer:
    Weiman Products
    755 Tri-State Parkway
    Gurnee, IL 60031
    847-263-3500

SECTION 3 – COMPOSITION / INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS

Microcrystalline Silica 14808-60-7 --
    Sodium Carbonate 497-19-8 --

Jim

Gilbert, K.O. and rzage like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

We all have to learn the hard way unfortunately the ONLY way to "clean" a coin is to use boiling hot(while bubbling) DISTILLED water poured over it in a plastic collander and whatever crud is left accept it and stop.You will remove a lot of dirt so you can see the design at least.Let the buyer fiddle with it at his expense....

K.O. likes this.
  4. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

The only way to improve this coin is keep it as a pocket piece for a year or two. Shame really. Spot is all its worth.

5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

K.O., you learned a lesson, cheap. If it was in bad shape, it probably wasn't worth much over silver melt value, anyway. But you don't want to clean these, not only because you'll scratch them, but because you'll ruin the finish. Think of the finish like a thin skin. Sometimes the coin is so old and weathered, it's barely hanging on. You rub it off, that's irreversible. You don't get it back. It's like a dead surface, now. Who wants a dead surface? Lol, I'm probably not making any sense, but just hang out here, you'll get the idea. We'll make sure of that. :)

Endeavor, K.O. and rzage like this.
  6. K.O.

K.O. New Member

I have collected since i was very young I started with foreign coins cuz they looked different recently I've been into American coins...just held onto them for a long time and got some from family members...the 1878 is the oldest one I have....so I was most interested in looking it up. My Grandpa collects coins too. And I love all kinds of cool old stuff...I'm just a 25 year old chick that doesn't know much about them but I do have a little collection. I also have a 1921 silver dollar... I love old things and antiques. I've never reached.out to people on line for advice b4 always wanted to cuz i thought people who knew a lot about them would enjoy educating me about them. I can't believe what I've heard some of u say. Others actually helped with good advice and I thank them for the positive feedback. Was gonna post some more but nvm guess I'll just figure it out later on.

Kentucky and Amanda Varner like this.
  7. K.O.

K.O. New Member

I just made this account today and this is my first experience posting anything online like this besides Facebook
    Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it!

Kentucky, Endeavor and eddiespin like this.
  8. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

K.O. - Welcome to CT. I tend to read quite a bit more than I post. A great way to learn. You also get to see what Chris is talking about but I also believe what you described as plausible. I have people at work describe how they clean coins on a somewhat regular basis - to make them look better. In most cases the coins had little collectible value before they were cleaned so it really does nothing to hurt the value. You just don't want to clean a coin that is collectible because then the value is gone.

Good Luck with your collecting, never be afraid to ask questions, just understand you have to have thick skin on most forums because you get all kinds of people/ages/biases for all sorts of different reasons. If you hang around long enough you will have go-to people that you can feel confident in their feedback.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
    K.O. likes this.
  9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I hope you change your mind and hang around a little. The forum is older male dominated by numbers, but many female collectors/ dealers are here also. The total amount of information and possible help is tremendous. Like most forums, the majority are kind, and helpful, but some just type the wrong thing without thinking too much about it, and if it goes over the line of the rules, bad things will occur. The site owner is very family oriented, and the moderators try to reflect this strongly, so if you have concerns click on the 'report' at the bottom of the post and let the moderators know. Jim

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/coin-talk-rules.34131/

K.O. likes this.
  10. K.O.

K.O. New Member

This is my first time joining a forum... I will stick around and just try to ignore the rude ones... I love to collect and I've looked most of mine up and tried to learn as much as I could about them...I guess I never researched proper cleaning methods Lol. I don't think I'll have to report anyone...I just want people to know that I realize I'm not a coin expert and I dont know everything about them, that's why I joined, so I could get advice. some people might think I'm just stupid but Im not, I néed to learn more and I realize that. Thank you for being so nice!

11. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

If you look at some of my 1st posts I asked some things that showed I didn't know much. That is how you learn and everyone was there at some point in their life. The forum is the best way to learn for most IMO.

K.O. likes this.
  12. Twobit

Twobit Active Member

K.O. Welcome to the wonderful world of coin collecting.
    Glad to hear you'll stick around a bit there are some really nice helpful
    people here and a fun place to learn.
    And some not so nice, that think newbies are supposed to know anything and everything about coins.
    Ive been at it a little over ten years and I still learn stuff.
    I've only been here a couple months and for the most part it's been fun but there are a couple people that over step the boundaries often and are just plain rude.

Now as for your Morgan dollar, the good news is it's not an 8 tail feather.
    In the future if you have a SILVER coin that is cruddy/dirty you can soak it in 100% acetone (not fingernail polish remover) and it will NOT harm the coin.

K.O. likes this.
  13. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

What are you skeptical about? And why would anybody waste their time coming on a random coin forum to lie about cleaning a coin?

K.O. and Twobit like this.
  14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Come on! She said that she has been collecting since she was very young. She's 25 now. Let's assume that by "very young" she means 15. How many people, here, have been collecting 10 years and don't know about cleaning coins? I haven't demeaned her in any way. I'm just not playing her game. So, you don't think she is playing with everyone. Fine!

Chris

15. Twobit

Twobit Active Member

I collected (accumulated) coins when I was 10 but didn't start collecting (seeing them for what they were) till I was 40.

Amanda Varner and K.O. like this.
  16. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

17. K.O.

K.O. New Member

The first coin I ever found and kept was when I was 9...it was just a Mexican peso but to me it was some weird cool coin I had never seen before. So throughout life I would throw coins into this little box...just about 4 years ago an old friend of mine gave me a lot of his old American coins... one of them being the 1878 silver dollar. I looked it up around that time and I read about the tail feathers error...I never thought my coins could be worth money until I discovered that some could be rare. So sometimes I try looking them up, asking friends, whatever. I never tried anything like this befoRe. The coins I collected when I was a kid were just foreign coins...they weren't even old. I have many antiques actually that I've acquired over the years that I still don't know anything about....like this really old gun I found on my grandma's farm. I just finally decided to try asking in a forum online. And if u think I'm lying why are u still here? Move on and troll somebody else.

Kentucky likes this.
  18. K.O.

K.O. New Member

And yes u are being rude by saying that I'm playing a game. Ur the one being dramatic. Why would I act like I don't know about something if I really did know all about it? That doesn't make sense to me.... for u to even think that way makes me think that's how u are and u play games. I used the Internet for my research. If I had read a book maybe I would have seen a chapter on coin cleaning. but since I was using the internet...Google to be specific...and not lookin up how to clean a coin maybe that's why I didn't see anything about proper cleaning methods.

19. K.O.

K.O. New Member

And I'm not arguing I'm standing up for myself. :)

Kentucky and Twobit like this.
  20. Twobit

Twobit Active Member

So what other US coins do you have?

K.O. likes this.
  21. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Okay, so you've been collecting coins for 15 years, and what information you've gained was through Google. Well, I've got news for you. Google also has information about cleaning coins. Since you already mentioned that you read about cleaning coins somewhere else, I still don't believe your story.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted