1878 Morgan. Grade?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Profit man, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Profit man

Profit man Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Looks like some wear on Libertys hair by her ear. Not sure if that's actual wear or just from a weak strike.
    If it is MS, I'd guess it's about a 63. Hard to judge by those photos though.
    People with more experience than me in Morgans should have a better idea for you.

4. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

It is a MS63 granted that it is not a chinese fake

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Nothing visible even remotely suggests a fake, but I wouldn't venture even a grade/condition guess based upon these photos. It's always best to remove coins from their holders (when possible) before imaging them.

JPeace$ likes this.
  6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I'd say from the pics it's just an educated guess , I'm in the 63 area , and agree with Books that it's real . I always wonder why people yell fake when there's no reason for it . Also there's some varieties with the '78 Morgan , check the tailfeathers to see how many there are . As they started with 8 feathers , then corrected it to 7 , but some show 7 1/2 feathers . Then there's straight arrow feather on top and angled feather on top . Wish you could take the coin out of the holder and get a clearer shot of both sides , but especially the reverse .

Profit man likes this.
  7. Profit man

Profit man Active Member

. This is the 7tf

rzage likes this.
  8. BALD SPARTAN

BALD SPARTAN Member

I would also say MS63 but hard to tell in the flip. Alot going on with the chin area from the pic.

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Take the coin out of the holder before taking pictures.

Otherwise they are useless

10. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

The picture needs to be in focus to even guess at a grade. It's real. Can't tell if it's a 7 over 8 TF or just a straight 7 TF. reverse is #2. The surface looks splotchy like it was not rinsed properly after a dip.

I'd check the tail feathers closely.

11. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Poor image. Can't grade from blurry and overly close in photograph. Probably MS, but really can't tell.

12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

The lighting makes it hard to tell what's going on, there. MS63, giving it the benefit of the doubt.

Draft saved Draft deleted