1878 Morgan for Eval

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by DCG, Aug 19, 2020.

1. DCG

DCG New Member

Apologies as I don't have the best lighting in my office. I'm working on remedying that.
    00000IMG_00000_BURST20200819154927486_COVER.jpg 00000IMG_00000_BURST20200819154959233_COVER.jpg

capthank and ZoidMeister like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

VF details. Cleaned at one time.

4. DCG

DCG New Member

Thank you for all your replies @tibor
    As you've indicated that most of my coins have been cleaned at some point, how can you tell?

capthank and ZoidMeister like this.
  5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

She was in a knife fight!

capthank likes this.
  6. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

XF details harshly cleaned

7. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

VF Details improperly cleaned

8. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

All of the above.

9. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin Talk. The dirt remaining around the stars, the edges of the devices, in between the letters, etc.. Especially when compared to how clean the Eagle and Liberty's face looks. The dullness of the entire coin. Others can add to this. If you're getting serious about collecting, the first thing you should do is buy a copy of the RedBook. The official title is "A Guidebook of United States Coins" by R.S. Yeoman Whitman Publishing.

manny9655 likes this.
  10. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

What VAM is it?…with the parallel arrow feather it is a Reverse of 78, but there are multitudinous VAMs associated with this first year of issue...Spark

11. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

12. Silvergmen

Silvergmen SILVER & MORGAN Obsessed

Welcome to CT! I am new as well and love collecting Morgans. While cleaning is not always easy to recognize, this one is pretty clear to me. You can tell by all the hairline scratches. I grade it XF.

13. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

If the coin had been dipped instead, would that have been acceptable?

Robert Ransom likes this.
  14. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

...in my view, yes...but only if it was done properly, not over-dipped, and before it was cleaned in any way previously...Spark

15. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Why wasn't the dirt removed if it was cleaned? Doesn't seem like a very good job. The dirt l see makes me think it wasn't. So explain that.

16. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

It's a cleaning in the sense of an abrasive ( note all the scratches) and likely a jewelery wipe afterwards which won't get the nooks and crannies that a dip would get into. To me it's an old cleaning but it's seen a harsh cleaning no doubt about it.

17. Robert Ransom

NO. In my opinion, no cleaning allowed with the exception of ancients and the necessary removal of crud to determine what lies beneath. For moderns, removal of crud, mud and attached debris is acceptable as long as the "cleaning" does not alter the coin by removing any of its surface. Dipping removes a thin layer from the surface of coins and thereby modifies the appearance depending upon the coin material.

18. Robert Ransom

As I have indicated in previous posts, the only "cleaning" I have done was to apply Nic-a-Date to a number of no date buffalo's because I was nosey.

Mike Davis and Mountain Man like this.
  19. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Okay I see the scratches on the obverse, especially on the chin. But I also see the clean area around the two stars to the right of the year, which puzzles me. Anyway, I don't like the coin's look.

20. Robert Ransom

The answer you are seeking is: the coin may need two or three dips to completely remove the tarnish buildup.

21. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I wouldn't dip it in anything but maybe a slab. I'm a morgan man and our local numismatist says no no no cleaning. Good luck

Draft saved Draft deleted