1878-CC Morgan -

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mojavedave, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

I bought this off E-Bay. It appears to be a fine coin (You grade it), but the color seems off to me. It appears to be gray as in cast, but I think silver has a tendancy to darken with time. Anyway, can you see the color in the pictures ? Does it look Ok to you ? If it means anything, it is a coin originally bought from RedHook in 2000.

Dave 1878-CC Morgan-Rev.JPG

Attached Files:

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

A lot of Morgan dollars that have been in circulation have a tendency to turn gray.

Chris

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Seems OK to me Dave. Who's 'Redhook'?

5. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I think she's fine .

6. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Could be a pirate for all I know Ken, hope not cause I don't want my wife to make me walk the plank. As much as I have found out, RedHook is just a coin store sellers name.

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Well, as long as you didn't pay a whole bunch 'o jing ya ain't gonna be walkin' the plank brother.......:)

8. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Looks fine to me also,they DO turn grey from handling over the years,I have a few that are.....

9. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

It looks good to me. Probably XF with a little bit of luster left in the protected areas.

10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I just scanned the pictures with my color analyzer wand I invented so I won't get taken advantage of anymore by unscrupulous coin doctors because sometimes you just can't tell when you look at pictures. The results are there's a 96% chance the toning is NT, a 2% chance it's QT, and a 2% chance it's AT, so I think you did OK. :)

11. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Would probably grade XF40.

12. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Looks like the seller's pics have a white balance problem. I'm guessing it's to show the coin a little better, which means the coin is probably pretty dark. If the coloring is even, I would be happy with it.

Let us know your thoughts when you get it in hand.

13. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Coin in hand. The coloring is uniform on Obv & Rev. These are my pictures, as you can tell I'm not too good at taking coin photos. I'm still trying to figure out the best settings for a Nikon 3100.

Dave

14. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

As Chris said a lot of Silver dollars do turn grey. I have found over the years that circulated CC dollars especially turn a darker battle ship grey. I have been told that because at Carson City mint the ore was refined there ,plus it came from the Comstock mine source , that is the cause of the duller grey color.
    As I have never researched this, however I do know that the ore from Comstock was always said to be some of 5 he finest silver known.

15. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Very enlightning Paddy, better silver, better value Huh ?

16. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

The CC looks strange.

Close up?

17. Treashunt

Paddy never met a fact that he couldn't make up.

He learned this from Walter Breen

18. Paddy54

Frank you look strange from any distance .

19. Paddy54

Frank keep it up and you'll be joining Walter Brennan!

20. Treashunt

the death squad is out hunting for you

21. Treashunt

and you'll join Walter Breen.

:angelic:

Draft saved Draft deleted