1878-cc Morgan on Ebay

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Indianhead65, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

I ran across this Morgan (item#130099427981) while looking on Ebay and had a question. He stated a general description, I guess, about all of his coins that he sells, that I dont understand. As follows: "These real coins, not replicas, are guaranteed not to be sulphur toned or Ebay "Special Mix" toned coins." The "Special Mix" designation makes it sound like you're getting your Morgan dollar directly from a bag of dog food. The coin certainly looks to be AT to me, but, what does "sulphur toned" mean and what does it look like and if someone can explain to me what Ebay "Special Mix" is. If these terms really mean anything at all or if this guy is just full of horse poo. Sorry, I couldnt save the pic of the coin.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

4. Indianhead65

5. ozland tiger

ozland tiger Senior Member

While I am not an expert, I will say that the coin in question

is Artificially toned. I wouldn't touch that coin. It appears to have been heated to get the type of color represented.

6. Indianhead65

I never buy coins that look even faintly suspicious. This Morgan is a classic example of that. With all of the bids that were on that coin you'd think at least one of them would know better, but, then again there are alot of collectors out there that consider themselves numismatists that know absolutely very little about what they're buying. I also have a good feeling that this Morgan was heated to get the "toned" appearance. Theres no doubt about it.

7. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I just want a circulated coin to look circulated. To me, rainbow coins aren't much different from colorized coins or electroplated coins.

8. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

It looks very un-apealing to me also.

9. Philly Dog

Philly Dog Coin Collector

10. Indianhead65

Can you believe that the winning bidder paid $102.51 plus $5.50 s&h for this lousy coin. My....some people will never learn!!

11. Philly Dog

That is the one time it would be worth it to dip it

12. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

Dipping a circulated coin will almost make it look worse than that morgan. Well, maybe not quite as bad, but still not nice.

13. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

14. Philly Dog

15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I wonder if he got a chemistry set as a kid and finally found a use for it?

16. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

cooking in tissue paper, old cardboard, construction paper, all of these things can force artificially quick "natural toning"

17. JeromeLS

JeromeLS Coin Fanatic

Only if you do it on an unciruclated coin it will look natural. If you look at that coin, it has wear on its surfaces, so it looks really odd.

18. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

never stopped most of the fake toned coin sellers on Ebay from trying it and then selling the results :(

Draft saved Draft deleted