1878 8TF

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Jmis, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Jmis

Jmis Active Member

Thoughts on value? I picked this up in a little lot of silver coins today. It has 8 tail feathers and according to Red book only 749,500 minted. I was more interested in the Peace Dollars in the lot at the time.
    11F0E20C-E5F8-4A2F-9675-A8AAD37F5ED8.jpeg 3374EF4B-8342-487E-9919-95EC026B2A8D.jpeg

longshot likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

High AU detail, but the surfaces look a bit strange. Is it really as lack-luster as it looks in the picture?
    My feeling is cleaned and overdipped, and I hesitate to stick my neck out, but I leave a bit of room for questions on authenticity.

GeorgeM likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Cleaned! ~ Chris

5. Jmis

Jmis Active Member

The only test I did was with a Rare Earth Magnet and that passed. I don't have scale. I agree with the early cleaning, I think it was cleaned myself.

6. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I think I've convinced myself it's real.

Value? I'll throw out a suggestion of $50-$60 dollars and invite the CT crew to agree or disagree. :)

thomas mozzillo and Jmis like this.
  7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

A cleaning and a very klutzy one at that.

8. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I am thinking maybe $50 by someone who wants to have an example.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I wouldn't go any higher than $50.

10. Terry Chester

Terry Chester New Member

i advise people all the time against the perils of cleaning coins, but then throw out this caveat, “do what is going to bring you pleasure, if you want a nice bright shiny coin, and don’t care about loosing some value, then go ahead and clean just don’t wire brush it......

Draft saved Draft deleted