1878 8TF Morgan Dollar VAM....?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BigTee44, Dec 29, 2016.

1. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

Is it actually a 22-B?

This will be my second Morgan, the first one I'll be sending in raw assuming it hasn't been cleaned when I get it in hand. I'm hoping the luster is better than what appears in the pictures. If it's nice might be one for NCS with their new cheaper prices starting Jan 1st.

morgan1.jpg morgan2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

It's a 22 of some sort, all right, but the diagnostic details are in need of much more magnification to be sure which die state it is.

4. BigTee44

Yea I know it won't zoom at all and CT for some reason won't allow me to post screen shots anymore when I did zoom in.

5. SuperDave

Well, if you can confirm the breaks at the wingtip next to the D, the one at the second left star, and the clashed letters you're good. The visible die cracks in these pics confirm it as 22.

6. BigTee44

I'll upload pictures when it arrives, I'm pretty sure it is though.

7. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I'll bet the luster will be much better than the scanned images relay and I also think it may be a 22B.

BigTee44 likes this.
  8. BigTee44

I hope so

9. BigTee44

my pictures, luster is booming.

1878 Morgan_8TF_2.jpg

10. SuperDave

Aw, that's just lovely. :)

I think 22B is reasonable for it.

BigTee44 likes this.
  11. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

The obverse crack on the 2nd star doesn't look chunky enough for VAM 22B. Can you get a closeup of that?

12. SuperDave

It seems identical to the feature on the plate coin at VAMworld, which is all most of us have to go on as an attribution aid, although Leroy's detail image has a full-on break there. Another factor in my thinking is the reverse crack between the star and O - on the LDS coin a chip appears which isn't shown on 22A, and this one has it.

If the plate coin isn't 22B, it ought not be there.

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  13. messydesk

I see the crack on the star, but it doesn't look as developed as Leroy's photo, which is the standard. The crack on the full picture of the obverse on VW is not big enough to be called VAM 22B.

Edit: I've clarified the page on VAMWorld.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  14. SuperDave

Thank you very, very much. An attribution is only as accurate as the available information. :)

15. BigTee44

So still saying it's a 22B? I was going to send it in for attribution since there's only one known at NGC currently.

16. SuperDave

I have the impression from John that it's 22A, lacking the complete breaks at both D->wing and the second left star. The fact that there's only one at NGC merely hints at the level of respect (not) NGC gets with VAM attribution. 22B does not even appear on the list of VAMs they claim to attribute, and they list a "plain" 22, which does not exist. They're all either 22A or 22B.

A more important statistic might be the SSDC Census, where 22A's somewhat outnumber 22B's but not by a huge margin.

BigTee44 likes this.
  17. messydesk

No. 22A. NGC doesn't have a lot of respect in the VAM community. If they list simply VAM 22 in their variety list, it's because that's what is listed in the 8TF guide and Hot 50 books. Calling it VAM 22A didn't come along until much later.

Seattlite86, BigTee44 and Cascade like this.
  18. BigTee44

Looks like it's not going in for grading then.... thanks for saving me a few bucks guys!

Draft saved Draft deleted