1877 trade dollar. What's it worth?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Whipps, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Whipps

Whipps Well-Known Member

Dealer said the black marks on the obverse are from rubber wheels on a coin counting machine. Sorry for the poor quality, especially on reverse. the lighting wasn't great in the shop. Reverse looks better than obverse in hand.

Attached Files:

coinman1234 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

4. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

If genuine, I would call it an AU-55 and put in the $400 range. The if genuine is a big if and better images would be needed to offer an opinion on that. Nothing looks immediately off though. The black marks are distracting but could be removed with conservation which costs a few bucks and is why I put the value a bit lower than it should be for the grade.

5. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

What am I missing?

coinman1234 likes this.
  6. jessash1976

jessash1976 Coin knowledgeable

I think it will grade AU-50, there is more wear on the head and face togive it a 55. Maybe about 350 bucks. I don't think it is cleaned, it still has it's frosty surface.

7. Whipps

Whipps Well-Known Member

I love the toning. Looks like champagne, almost gold

8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Youthful paranoia? ;)

As for authenticity or potential grade, I would not feel comfortable making a call based on the provided photos other than to say that while itlooks good overall, there are a few concerns that I'd like a better look at. Perhaps it is just how the light is playing off of the surfaces, but better safe than sorry.

Kirkuleez and rzage like this.
  9. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I'm not expert enough to be able to tell from the photos, they need to be closer and sharper or higher pixels.

10. silverbullion

silverbullion Active Member

Talking about the trade dollar... have you guys seen the new Zombucks Slayed Dollar?

11. BooksB4Coins

Now I have.... and wish I hadn't.

12. silverbullion

silverbullion Active Member

It is an acquired taste and certainly not for everybody.

13. BooksB4Coins

That it certainly is... ;)

silverbullion likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted