1877 Indian Cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Indianhead65, Mar 21, 2023.

1. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

I've wanted one of these for over 40 years...now I have one. I always try to buy the key dates first, then the rest of the set. Screenshot_2023-03-08-18-22-13-40_480213f2f0973468929722542eb231d3.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lardan

lardan Supporter! Supporter

Glad you got one, I need one myself. I don't have anywhere close to 40 years to get one.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Nice pick up...I had 1 sold it ..xf as it had pitting issues. And never replaced it :( the only hole in my set.
    And interresting fact there are no variety known for the date.

Indianhead65, lardan and Kevin Mader like this.
  5. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

It is one of those alluring specimens that collectors just have to have. An exciting date to own -

1877IHC.JPG

6. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Great coins guys! I always dreamed of finding one Metal Detecting but never did. Closest was my 1870!:happy:

Indianhead65 and Kevin Mader like this.
  7. lardan

lardan Supporter! Supporter

I'm waiting to find an XF at the Coinstar machine at my local Walmart.

8. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The 1877 Indian Cent was my dream coin in high school. I finally got one. It had Fine sharpness for the time, but there was a very small green spot on the reverse. Today the sharpness grade would be Choice VF. I don’t know what the minor spot would have done to the slab grade. The coin went with the set when I sold it circa 1973.

I had a couple of other ones when I was a dealer. One was in a nice accumulation of Indian Cents I bought raw. Unfortunately I had been lightly cleaning. In those days, cleaned coins came back in “body bags” so I had to send it to ANACS to go into an old “bar soap” holder.

I bought the second one raw from a collector. It was very nice, but it wasn’t AU-58 nice, which was what NGC graded it. Old time grading called it EF-45 because it had no luster.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
    Indianhead65 and Kevin Mader like this.
  9. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Many years ago, I went to one of those shopping mall coin shows. A guy had an 1877 Indian he had found with a metal detector. There was no question as to what it was. The trouble was it had a big gash into the coin that had probably been from being hit with a sharp object. It was such that it would not have fit in an album hole. He couldn’t get $20 for it.

Indianhead65, Mr.Q and SensibleSal66 like this.
  10. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Oh wow! That stinks. Ehat's worse is when you ding a coin with a digging shovel. Did that with my Fugio. Good thing it was "toast" from being in the ground all those years.

11. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Good things come with patience. Thanks for sharing.

Indianhead65 likes this.
  12. Kevin Mader

Oldest for me was an 1876 specimen. Close...but just close.

13. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Happy when anyone can get that "one" coin they long for.

Kevin Mader and Indianhead65 like this.
  14. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I've got all of the coins except the 1877. I got a 4 square of 1877 stamps and then I got an 1877 metal coaster. My friends were trying to help me. I did get a couple of chuckles out of them.

Indianhead65 likes this.
  15. Kevin Mader

IMG_0561.JPG

Unfortunately, this picture was rushed and doesn't capture it fairly. A bit outside my budget at that time, but fun to see a grand specimen nearly 150 years old.

Indianhead65 and lardan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted