1877 indian cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by johnmatt, May 11, 2016.

1. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Yes. I remember well when 65 was as nice as it got.

I forgot to say that I am holding that 'ole '09 Lincoln in my hand at this moment.

Stevearino likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

How did you crack it from the glass without risking glass shard scratches? Or did you just grab a hammer and prayed?

4. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Oh geesh. That was the best part of the story and I forgot to even tell it.

I can home from a shoot (I was a reporter for an NBC affiliate on the side back then) and my wife said "Matt has something to tell you papa, go ahead Matt." And my little boy showed me that he stood the glass on end and tapped it with his closed Boy Scout knife until it shattered into a million sharp, little pieces. My shame is that I yelled at him for ruining it and made him cry. (he's 34 now and I still recall that with guilty feelings). I then checked it out with a 16X glass.

Since it was out and miraculously unharmed, we decided to try this newfangled grading company. I hadn't yet dreamed of owning a personal computer yet so went to Coin World to find the nearest submitter and he was in State College Pennsylvania. a place where we once lived after we went to school there and still loved to visit.

Cascade and Paul M. like this.
  5. johnmatt

johnmatt Well-Known Member

Update- decided to give the coin 1 more shot with pcgs. If it gets a straight grade or a details grade-it's going to auction....

Cascade and Paul M. like this.
  6. johnmatt

The risk is if it were to get a cleaned designation from pcgs, I lose the option of returning it to the QC designation. Oh well (fingers crossed)...

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Best of luck with the submission, John.

johnmatt likes this.
  8. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Hope it gets straight graded - they you will have a really good story.:facepalm:

johnmatt likes this.
  9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Roll those dice Mr. Papageorgio!... Daddy needs a new pair of shoes :)

Scared money never plays so I would've done the same. Hope it works out!

johnmatt likes this.
  10. johnmatt

I put in a dollar I got a car, I put in a dollar I got a car, I put in a dollar I got a car.....

Cascade and SuperDave like this.
  11. Obsidian

Obsidian New Member

Curious to see what PCGS says this time around. Keep us posted!

12. johnmatt

update- came back from pcgs with a QC unc details grade. It's going to auction at the ANA....

13. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

It looks fine to me. Personally, I would let the coin tone-down for a straight grade. I think you'll get more for the coin in a graded slab.

I've played this game before with them on color. Just leave the coin in open air sitting on a piece of cardboard for months, occasionally flipping. The coin will start to brown a little and change color, it will look more "natural". Once it gets to that point, then resubmit. This process WORKS, I've done it quite a few times.

I'll say it again, most often it is NOT true "questionable color", the color is usually quite natural but it simply doesn't fit into their "model" of how a coin in their slab should look. Just because they doubt the color doesn't mean a coin has been tampered with!

14. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

It has an adobe-pink color as it may have been dipped...a very nice coin...crack it and re-submit it to NGC.

mac266 likes this.
  15. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

AFTER it tones down!

chascat likes this.
  16. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

Looks like a nice Indian cent to me. I can see why it "broke your heart."

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It won't have a picture. They've only done pictures on their site for two or three years, and they don't image every coin, in fact just a small percentage of them.

Why? Right now its a MS-64. If it comes back that again you'll have almost as much tied up in it in grading fees as the coin is worth.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  18. johnmatt

Not sure what you're trying to tell me Conder???

19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

If I owned this coin I would just put it away and watch it for a while in it's current holder. You never know what just a change in holders will do to the color of copper. They get a nice fresh gulp of whatever air is in the room at the time. Over time this coin will straight grade.

20. johnmatt

21. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I still think it's too orange to be original.

Draft saved Draft deleted