1877 indian cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by johnmatt, May 11, 2016.

1. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I'm glad you showed this example. In all fairness, I've seen them in NGC slabs, too. What you must understand is, they're delusional.

johnmatt and Paul M. like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. johnmatt

johnmatt Well-Known Member

Rockin' good news! HA has agreed with us and thinks we should crack and re-submit the coin! Praying for a good outcome...

Vroomer2, green18, Paul M. and 5 others like this.
  4. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Great thread. I submitted an 1905 MS IHC to NGC last year and it came back QC... this baby has a similar color. You can bet I will submit it again :)

5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Perhaps we can see it first as it may save you some money.

Paul M. likes this.
  6. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I know somebody would say that... maybe I find the time to take some pics tmrw... but no matter what you say, I'll submit it along with my other coins ;-)

Paul M. likes this.
  7. johnmatt

Update: cracked out the coin and submitted to NGC, came back "improperly cleaned." Now I'm not sure which way to go. My consignment director says they can reholder it in the PCGS- QC slab. Probably better off that way than with the IC designation from NGC. The other option is to resubmit to PCGS for a new grade and risk an IC grade. So the way I see it 1- leave in the NGC-IC holder (no) 2- reholder in the PCGS-QC holder (maybe) or 3- resubmit to PCGS for regrade and risk an IC grade from them. Aaaarrrgh

Paul M. likes this.
  8. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I'd roll the dice one more time at PCGS, myself. It's possible PCGS and NGC are seeing the same thing, in which case, odds of a clean grade are low, but crazier things have been known to happen.

9. johnmatt

Thanks Paul- I think I'm leaning that way too.

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm not sure they can actually do that.

11. johnmatt

According to Heritage, they still have the old pcgs-qc slab and can claim ignorance of knowing how it "broke".

Insider likes this.
  12. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Probably only works because it's a details slab. I'm 99.9999% certain PCGS wouldn't do that if it were straight graded.

13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I told you, John, they both do it. Do you want a laugh? Ask them to articulate why it's cleaned. Tell them their customers at CoinTalk want to hear their rationale.

14. Insider

Your chances of talking with an actual grader are very slim to none at a top 2 TPGS. Well, you pays your money and you have a slabbed coin that sells for more than one in a second tier TPGS slab.

I read a grading column in Numismatic News that pointed out the folly of those :wideyed::confused::bucktooth: collectors who get a "details" grade at one service and try to get the same coin straight graded at another. :facepalm:Oh, I know it happens. But from what I see/hear/read; not as often as you would think for those collectors paying the TPGS light bill. :rolleyes:

Paul M. likes this.
  15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Forget the grader. These are supposed to be intelligible standards they're grading by. Put it to their public relations department. We're their customers. Their grader just gave this coin a cockeyed call, in our collective opinion. Explain it. I'd love to hear the reply he gets back from these clowns. "Oh, grading is subjective." Stick it in their ear, they just gave this key coin the electric chair, they can't find the words to articulate why?

johnmatt likes this.
  16. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

That's one heckuva story paddy, very cool that ur old man bought that roll way back when, and good for you, finding that 43/2 (still looking myself) maybe u should 're-submit or send to the other top TPG

Travlntiques and Paddy54 like this.
  17. heavycam.monstervam

OP, if option #3 doesn't work out 4 you, maybe you should try option #4-
    Send it to Anacs and see what the experts over there say.... A straight grade from them has to be worth more than a pcgs QC ....

Ducks down and commando crawls out of room

Insider likes this.
  18. Insider

19. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I wish my father had of pulled the trigger a lot more. He was in the right place for 47 years!
    However one must remember he really didn't make a ton of money. And $2.00 in 1943 was worth about $27.00 in 20 16 money.

20. heavycam.monstervam

Well, if anything that is a great story to tell, worth waaaay more than the coin IMO.
    Maybe if I play my cards right I can work my way into your will, somewhere at the bottom of the page:troll:

Stevearino likes this.
  21. noname

noname Well-Known Member

It doesn't look cleaned, but I'm probably wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted