1877 indian cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by johnmatt, May 11, 2016.

1. johnmatt

johnmatt Well-Known Member

Hi all- Interested in some opinions on this coin/ grade 1877 indian cent.jpe 1877 indian reverse.jpe . What do you see that makes it look QC?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I don't collect these, but the color looks fine to me. @rlm's cents..........what say you brother?

4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

They do this on Indian cents that they think are unnaturally red. In other words, they suspect it was more brown at one point and someone stripped it down or altered it in some way.

green18 likes this.
  5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Looks to have been dipped .

6. johnmatt

More info- the coin was in a capital plastics holder for at least 45 years-consigned with heritage- and returned with this grade...

7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Now that stinks...

mac266 likes this.
  8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Indians aren't my bag either and the TPG's color logic escapes me. I would have guess gradable without any clues, but something just isn't quite right to me.

Paddy54 and green18 like this.
  9. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Too much orange to be original, imo.

joecoincollect and Travlntiques like this.
  10. Paddy54

I'm not sure but the color ,lack of more than one diamond on the ribbon . When you're talking a 1877 in Au. plus range you're talking some money. TPG'S are not going to sign off on a maybe or a could be.
    Was this coin the same shape in the Capital holder? The Auction house sent it in for grading correct ?

11. johnmatt

Yeah, it was submitted by heritage. Looks the same as it did when we cracked it out of the capital holder. Total of 62 cents were submitted, 50 got a straight grade (mostly 64-65, no 66). 12 coins had problems- cleaning & QC. Most were easy to agree with, but this one broke my heart.

Vroomer2 and IkeError like this.
  12. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I don't know. It looks like a nice RB to me.

mac266, fish4uinmd and green18 like this.
  13. green18

Me too. I've seen stuff like this in problem free holders before.

IkeError and Paul M. like this.
  14. Paddy54

I totally get it.....long story short as I feel your pain.
    My father worked for the Federal Reserve 47 years! He was 15 y/o when he started . He purchased a roll of 1943 P nickels from the bank back in 1943 . The nickels came from the US mint in bags. To the FRB , where they were rolled ,and sent out to banks.
    The roll as well as other were in his safety deposit box when he passed. Smack dab in the middle of the roll of 43 P nickels was a 1943/2 nickel uncirculated had been rolled up since the day he purchased the $2 roll in 1943.
    I sent the nickel in and.......yup came back cleaned!
    No way! No how! So yes I do understand how you feel.

fish4uinmd, Vroomer2, mac266 and 4 others like this.
  15. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Sad story. I don't see anything questionable about it.
    Crack and resubmit?

mac266 and *wolf7* like this.
  16. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Coin looks like nice R&B: however, some pink on the "N" in "one" may have scared them off.

17. green18

@pen
    More photo than pink. I ain't seein' it......

18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I don't know. PCGS had the coin in hand. We are all looking at images. I think it's a great coin even in the current holder.

19. johnmatt

Just fired off an e-mail to my consignment director at heritage asking about the possibility of a re-grade. I thank you all for your opinions. I'm seeing a 64rb all day long, but may be seeing with a biased eye. I think they (heritage) will tell me that buyers will see the same thing you see and bid accordingly, but I would sure like to see it get a straight grade. Heck the pcgs population figures alone are a reason to keep trying for a straight grade. It's a nightmare to think of it selling for ms60 QC money when I see a beautiful coin that should bring 64ish money.

Insider and Paul M. like this.
  20. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

They must not like how red it was. I'd send in again or try ngc. Well worth multiple submissions to either

Insider likes this.
  21. johnmatt

Heritage says they are going to get together and give me their opinion on possible re-submission. Waiting to hear back from them...

Draft saved Draft deleted