1876 Trade Dollar - get it cleaned ?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Clawcoins, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I have this 1876 Trade Dollar as you can clearly see has some issues.
    Should I get it cleaned or just leave it as is. I've had it for a very long time stored in a cardboard/clear plastic container.
    CleanObverse.jpg
    CleanReverse.jpg

Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

I should add, that I bought it like this and I don't really know what the stuff is as it's been in the container thing the entire time.

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

looks like it was already cleaned. super shiny already.

Paul M. likes this.
  5. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

Since it was already cleaned, and with all the issues, personally I would have cleaned it and then put away for natural retoning. In 2-3 years it would look like a perfectly collectible coin. Did this in the past to 90% silver a few times with great results.

derkerlegand likes this.
  6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The problem is, this coin was already cleaned. It was dipped, and improperly rinsed. What you are seeing is contaminants from the dip (most likely). It has also been polished with a brush, the hairlines you see on the surfaces are from a cleaning.

Another dip would strip it even further, and leave it blast white. This coin is not worth sending in to NCS to conserve - they can't do much for it. It needs a quick dip and long rinse in distilled water to clear the surfaces. Then it needs to be stored in an envelope or album for a few years to restore a patina on the surface. The end result will be an AU details coin that has obviously been cleaned and restored, but it will (probably) be more attractive than the current state.

Your other choice, of course, is to sell it and buy a problem free coin.

spirityoda and rzage like this.
  7. Clawcoins

Should I clean it myself - unsure how ?

8. Clawcoins

I've already bought it a long time ago, and i enjoy looking at the details of the coin not necessarily a long term hopeful investment. So just a quick dip (of what? ) and distilled water sounds doable, though I've never done it.

9. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Don't use anything harsh that will further damage the surfaces. Don't use any sort of polish or cleaning methods intended for silverware or jewelry.

I believe one of the gentlest methods is to use a product called "MS-70." These substances should be used sparingly, and almost always diluted (you can wind up doing more damage if not carefully done). I've never actually dipped a coin myself, but I'm sure others here will be able to help you. Some products are harsher than others, but there should be a selection at any coin supply store.

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

First things first. Get it out of that holder. Puncture the clear plastic with a toothpick and tear it away to keep from scratching the coin. Next wash your hands and thoroughly rinse them. Place the coin gently in the sink so that hot water can run over it and let hot water run over it for 30 seconds or so. As to a dip, I know very little about MS-70, but have used EZest with some success. Pick the coin up and treat the worst areas with a cotton swab moistened with the EZest (don't rub, roll or blot). Return the coin to the hot water stream. Repeat as needed, you can always do more, but I've never managed to do less. As a final act, you could rinse the coin with some distilled water and place on a soft towel and fold the towel over it and blot it dry.

11. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I would strongly advise using methods less-intrusive than stripping metal off the surface (which is what E-Zest does) first. We have no idea what the color is; it may rinse off in water or be something organic which acetone or xylene (Search the forum for the many previous discussions of their use) can remove without harming the coin. Ultimately, given that it's almost certainly previously-cleaned, the final step might well be a couple years in your pocket to wear off the signs of cleaning, if that's what you wish.

rzage, ldhair, -jeffB and 1 other person like this.
  12. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Ditto !

13. Clawcoins

I don't want to strip any metal or affect the surface any.

I do have Xylene.
    So I'm going to give that method a try first.

hot water flow on it,
    then Q-tip dab with Xylene
    hot water flow
    distilled water rinse

I have some basic coin stuff of non-scratching tweezers and things packed away (somewhere) I'll use to not touch the coin.

btw, Happy Easter.

Kentucky likes this.
  14. Clawcoins

by the way, I have many coins that I've had since back to the 1970's in those cardboard flips. Is there a more modern recommendation?

most of my coins (many silver) are kept away out of sunlight, mostly humidity controlled areas.

15. SuperDave

Use the xylene as a soak, without a Q-tip until near the end of the (few hours') soak when you'll see if anything has been broken loose. It is sufficiently volatile that you won't need to rinse it off with water; the last step would be a "rinse" swish in xylene to ensure nothing has been redeposited, and let it air-dry (except it'll likely be dry before you even put the coin down). All you're looking for is to see if the xylene has any effect at all on the color; if it manages to remove even some of it we know we're on the right path. If not, we gotta think of other things. :)

Xylene and acetone have opposite polarities and work well on differing things, but this should be at least an indication of whether what's on the coin is organic or not.

Kentucky likes this.
  16. Kentucky

Not really "opposite", xylene is non-polar and acetone is a little bit polar, but also has some non-polar character. Next step up in polarity would be alcohol and then water.

Paul M. and SuperDave like this.
  17. SuperDave

I gotta quit being so unequivocal about these things around a chemist. :p

Paul M. and Kentucky like this.
  18. Kentucky

Sorry, just being picky. Your idea of a xylene soak is the best suggestion yet, at least to start with.

19. SuperDave

I should think that either acetone or xylene would at least "get a start" on substances the other might be more suited to, right? That's the gist of my post above - if an organic solvent can show progress on the color here, there's no need to even consider more intrusive methods.

The color just doesn't really strike me as a dipping artifact, with the understanding that I employ the term "dipping" exclusively to thiourea or other compounds (my tailfeathers are still singed from the last time I called it an "acid" :) ) intended to strip metal from the surface. A "redeposit" wouldn't be so bold or so localized. However, an accidental encounter with some other chemical isn't out of the question either.

Kentucky likes this.
  20. Clawcoins

Before the xylene soak of about 4 hours
    Coin_before (2 of 2).jpg
    Coin_before (1 of 2).jpg

Then after the soak
    Coin_after (1 of 2).jpg
    Coin_after (2 of 2).jpg

on 18% gray cards and White Balance corrected.
    Of course I had to drop it too :(

Paul M. likes this.
  21. jackhd

jackhd Active Member

Clawcoins - That shows significant improvement. The recommendations written here by SuperDave are the best of available options (including to get the coin OUT of that holder). If you want, you can soak it again for another 4 hours. I've not used xylene, but pure acetone (NOT finger nail polish remover) has never caused any negative results on any of my coins (including copper, nickel, silver, etc). Also, when you have the time, do a web search on a product called "Verde-Care."

Also, I wanted to say "WELCOME TO COINTALK!!! Jack

Draft saved Draft deleted