1876 So-Called $: HK23 (Silver) or HK26 (White Metal)??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by StevenHarden, Feb 21, 2020.

1. StevenHarden

StevenHarden Well-Known Member

Hello All.

I have the following So-Called Dollar from 1876. This piece is listed in the 2nd Edition of "So-Called Dollars An Illustrated Standard Catalog" by Harold Hibler and Charles Kappen within the section of U.S. Centennial Exposition pieces. Within the U.S. Centennial Exposition section there is a listing for Liberty Bell - Independence Hall Dollars. There are four (4) metal varieties of this type: Silver, Bronze, Copper, and White Metal.

My question is whether this is HK23 (silver) or HK26 (white metal). HK23 is listed with a rarity R8, while HK23 is listed with a rarity R4.

As shown in the pictures below, this piece is housed in what appears to be the original holder designed for it. The diameter is 38mm, thickness 3mm, and weight 23.2 grams. Surfaces have a proof-like appearance and have a rough metal appearance in parts of the fields.

If you do not have the Hibler/Kappen book, you can find information for this piece at the following:
    https://www.so-calleddollars.com/Events/US_Centennial.html

Again, I am trying to distinguish whether this is the silver (HK23) or white metal (HK26) metal variety.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Now for the pictures:

IMG_5108.jpg
    IMG_5109.jpg
    IMG_5110.jpg
    IMG_5111.jpg
    IMG_5115.jpg
    IMG_5114.jpg
    IMG_5113.jpg

Thank You.

Chris B likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

The easiest way to tell for sure is to test its specific gravity. If it’s around 10.5, then it is probably silver and you should have it tested via X-ray fluorescence (XRF). If it’s around 7.1, then it’s certainly not silver.

4. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

I would say it is white metal. For one, it is holed. Two, the toning doesn't look right for silver. There is also no mention of a case for this medal. There are other medals for this expo that did come with cases. Maybe search eBay and see if any of the other HK-26 are holed. H&K didn't list holed medals unless there was another medal made without a hole.

5. gronnh20

I did a little more searching on the NGC website. They grade more So-Called Dollars than anyone else. There are three auction records for this SCD. Pictures are available at the link provided by NGC. 2 of the 3 auction records that were base metal had holes. One of the medals was slabbed with the ring in the hole. The third one looks like it may have had a hole or someone made a punch mark for a hole. The other bit of information, I learned from NGC, was there are only 2 graded in silver. NGC had graded 88 HK-26 in white metal.

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explor...lar-us-centennial-exposition-ms-coinid-850067

6. StevenHarden

StevenHarden Well-Known Member

@Paul M. and @gronnh20
    Thank you both for the information you have provided.
    The more I look at this piece, it does appear to be just white metal instead of silver. Being white metal would put this as R4 on the rarity scale (Estimated 200-499 in existence). The strike is fairly strong and there is no visible wear or scratches, but I'm not sure if this would be worth sending in for grading considering the surface roughness. Underneath all of the roughness there appears to be a proof-like surface, but it is difficult to see through the rough metal surface.

Paul M. likes this.
  7. gronnh20

Some of these did, indeed, grade proof-like.

8. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I believe it’s the white metal example as well. Surfaces don’t look right for silver

Draft saved Draft deleted