Featured 1876 Dime .....and why I am a picker......

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Paddy54, May 4, 2020.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I've taken a week off this week for two reasons,one being asked to by my company in order to keep our sales force working and no one being layed off do to Corvid-19. I have been in those shoes before myself.....and realize we all need to help each other.
    Now I have been working in stores, as my title is sort of like a mid fielder in lacrosse, actually you're a defence man who sometimes gets to play offence in a game. So yes I do sell but more so train and do store sets for grand openings etc....
    Anyway....
    Since I could relax this morning with a coup of coffee and work at my desk a at home.
    I pulled out an old purchased an 1876 dime.
    There are certain years in numismatics that I trully enjoy to collect.
    1876 happens to be one.

The dime in question was a specimen I purchased years ago . Now I know I looked at It at the time of purchase.
    However more so for a date set I was working on.
    So this morning I pulled out a set of 1876 dimes and mom's.
    My eye catches something in the denticles yes a mpd.....variety but there's more....you see picking coins there's always more.....that's what makes the chase so exciting.

The 1876 happens to be a type ll reverse -variety 101a obverse 1; medium date,downward slope,smallknob 6 .....and shattered dies!
    The obv. 1 die crack through bottom of the date digits. The die crack proceeds up though Liberty's foot and exits into the rim below America.

Now the type ll Reverse A is shattered durring the late die state.an internal cud has formed on the lower right portion of the corn ear.
    What even more interesting is that even in late die state this variety continues to be bold and excellent in details.
    My specimen is mid to early die state as the cud isn't seen at this stage...but edivence of it begins to show doe's exist.

Now yes some varieties do command sweet preimums, some don't, but the real reward is personal one.
    This is where you as a collector realizes that this hobby is so much more about learning than placing a medal round disc in a hole in a book.
    You can learn......you can grow in this hobby.....but most of all is the self satifaction of your find,reconizeing that yeah this is a rare date...and yeah that is repunched,that is the die crack,or thats the "pup" pick up point....you need to take your hunch....to becoming a victory.
    And just one more plus being a picker.....pay for a specimen at par/retail ,then discovering hey there's a lot more meat on that bone......and now that value is mine ,
    as well as the satifaction of knowing you made the find......and that's another part you ...yes you could possibly find a "new find" or discovery coin.
    These are the reason I love picking.....the hunt, the find....the knowlege you retain....and best of all .....you share with others.

Knowlege is power.....more ways than one....it's what lifes about learning and sharing,teaching...and always learning. C:WINDOWSTempA180 - 20200504_101833.jpg C:WINDOWSTempA181 - 20200504_101918.jpg C:WINDOWSTempA182 - 20200504_101955.jpg
    Die crack through the date is the pup for the 101a
    You can see the top of the 8 and 76 in the denticles.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

nice find

Paddy54 and Robert Ransom like this.
  4. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

I have a 1874, but not as nice as yours.

5. Paddy54

Here is the reverse crack mapping....I may as well attributed a donut or lifesaver..
    Pretty wild....how this got passed me before.....IDK other than I was worth on a centennial theme. 20200504_134246.jpg
    As you can see this little took a hammering.

Randy Abercrombie and Marshall like this.
  6. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

A true beauty! jealous nice find

7. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Paddy54 likes this.
  8. Paddy54

I have an S and a c.c. to post to the thread later today....thanks for sharing Rick ,I always appreciate your post sharing your vast knowlege on May subjects pertaining to numanistaics.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  9. Rick Stachowski

I like to do studying and reading on coins, as much as I can .
    Kitchen has me tried up since Christmas .
    20200329_114955.jpg

Paddy54 likes this.
  10. Paddy54

@Rick Stachowski
    Here is my 1876 s
    Diagnostics; type 1 see image
    Variety 109
    Obverse 9
    High date see image
    Date slopes downwards
    Small knob 6
    Reverse E
    Small block S RPM

* to my eye this rpm could be machine doubling. The experts deemed it an rpm,thus it is....but this look as to the mint mark slide like to the East exposing the square shelf like doubling to my eye. C:WINDOWSTempE849 - 20200505_035306.jpg C:WINDOWSTempE850 - 20200505_035407.jpg C:WINDOWSTempE855 - 20200505_035913.jpg C:WINDOWSTempE854 - 20200505_035702.jpg C:WINDOWSTempE852 - 20200505_035435.jpg C:WINDOWSTempE853 - 20200505_035646.jpg
    However look at the top loop of the S bingo the underling S

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    Rick Stachowski and ldhair like this.
  11. Paddy54

Next is an 1876 cc that omg that date and mm has a huge number of possible varieties.
    Variety 117
    Obverse 14
    Medium date
    Small knob 6
    Reverse 6
    Small cc
    Die crack runs thru cc
    Doubling on dime C:WINDOWSTempE859 - 20200505_041648.jpg C:WINDOWSTempE860 - 20200505_041747.jpg C:WINDOWSTempE858 - 20200505_041555.jpg C:WINDOWSTempE857 - 20200505_041535.jpg

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  12. Rick Stachowski

Very nice coins .....

Paddy54 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted