1876 "cc" 20 Cent Piece.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by planman2014, Apr 12, 2016.

1. planman2014

planman2014 Active Member

I've talked about this coin before and it hold some sentimental value because I really like this coin but I am cleaning out the safe and this is one I am ready to part with.

This coin is a genuine 1876-P 20 Cent piece that an enterprising scam artist many decades ago took the 'CC' marks off a 1875-cc 20 Cent piece and added it to this to make it appear like this coin is a 1876-cc 20 Piece (1876-cc 20 cent pieces are coins worth hundreds of thousands of dollars). I got this coin from a seller who inherited it from his Grandfather and it was a long family story that went back 3 generations when his Grandfather bought it and thought he had a rare coin. He only discovered it was not genuine when he was an adult and went to sell it to raise money to buy some land.

Attached Files:

Stevearino likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Since only a few dozen of this coin (1876-cc) are known, I'm surprised, to a point; its authenticity remained unchecked. It's now just a novelty and more concerning, a fake in the market that would trick many in a private sale arrangement. You would be wise to just save it for yourself and not sell it at all. If you must sell, for what ever reasons, I would do so to a very well known dealer in hopes he would just destroy it and remove it from the market place. If a private individual contacts you, I would not trust them to do the same. So you have a decision to make. Get it off of the market to protect others, or sell it and hope the next owner is as honest as you. The last scenario has the greatest risk to the hobby. It almost seems like condolences are in order. You have a big decision to make my friend.

Paul M., tpsadler and Santinidollar like this.
  4. planman2014

planman2014 Active Member

The thing with a 1876-cc 20 cent piece is that it is very, very, very easy to know this is a very old fake: no doubling on the liberty which we know now all genuine examples will have without question.

This coin, being an altered 1876-P, has no doubling which is very easy to tell with no magnification needed.

Paul M., tpsadler and Kirkuleez like this.
  5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

20 cent pieces aren't exactly floating around. It's sad that this one has been, for practical purposes, rendered worthless. I go with SaltySam. Please don't put it out in the marketplace where it can do more damage than it already has.

Paul M. likes this.
  6. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Another option I just thought of would be to have someone strike the word "copy" or "duplicate on it". Then list it on eBay as an auction and let the market determine it's value. At least you would remove a problem coin from the hobby and in return extract what ever value you can.

7. Santinidollar

But it's not a copy or duplicate. It is a jury-rigged fake.

8. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

That's a fine line very few even think about. Is a fake still a fake if the seller tells you it's a copy? That's what fakes are. At least the red flag is out and waving. I'm trying to give the OP an option for his honesty.

9. Santinidollar

All I hope is that turning this coin into money will not be a concern. It's like unstable nitro.

saltysam-1 likes this.
  10. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I'd imagine the CC MM is either glued or soldered on and should be a relatively easy removal . Seems like a win win situation . No more fake CC coin just an old '76-P with a little discoloration from the heat to remove the solder or acetone to loosen the glue . Just an idea !

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    Paul M. and Kirkuleez like this.
  11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@planman2014

There is one other alternative that hasn't been mentioned. You might want to look into having the coin restored through one of the conservation services. Maybe they can remove the CC mintmark. Granted, it will probably remain a "Details" coin, but at least you would know that some other sheister would not have the opportunity to cheat someone with an altered coin. Why don't you post an inquiry on "Ask NCS" on the NGC forums. Maybe Dave Camire could help you.

Chris

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Great minds think alike!

Chris

rzage likes this.
  13. Santinidollar

After all these years, wouldn't that leave a "shadow" of the CC?

14. Santinidollar

Conservation. Now that's an idea.

15. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

If the CC is glued on, you can remove it yourself by soaking the coin in acetone. I'd give it a good, long soak. Best case, you end up with a nice looking 1876 20-center. Worst case, you end up with an otherwise nice looking 1876 20-center with a couple of weird looking spots where the CC used to be.

If it's soldered on, I don't think there's really any saving the coin. Maybe with some meticulous work under a stereoscope, it could be restored, but I wouldn't take that to the bank.

A third possibility is that it's a raised mint mark. In that case, I think you're out of luck.

rzage likes this.
  16. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Guys, this is why I never believe the story people give behind a coin. This is an outright modern fake. Another of this exact type was on this site not long ago with clearer pics: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/1876-cc-20-cent-peice-value.249408/

Oh and here you go: http://www.usacoinbook.com/images/14567827163943d9d924aee6n.jpeg

Notice the matching missing bottom on TY in TWENTY, weakness in the bottom half of CENTS and same exact odd shape and position of the mint mark on all three coins.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    rzage and Paul M. like this.
  17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

If somebody drops 6 figures on a coin without doing their due diligence then they deserve to lose the money. We're not talking about a fake morgan cc of a few grand tops that an average Joe can get excited about getting a "steal" deal on and rushes into it.

Paul M. likes this.
  18. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I have to disagree , sure it's stupid to spend that kind of money and not know what you're getting . But it's the ripoffs and the people who make this junk that are at fault . Maybe it was your rich aunt or a parent trying to buy you a present , people should get what they are supposed to get that's why there's laws for selling this crap .

Paul M. likes this.
  19. Santinidollar

If that's an outright modern fake, the OP would do the hobby a favor by melting it down.

Draft saved Draft deleted