1876 CC 20 CENT PEICE!!

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by jerry45, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerry45

jerry45 Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

4. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

First off, Does it stick to a magnet? 5 grams is the right weight but the color is kind of off, the details are not that sharp either. It could just be very cleaned or have corrosion or any other kind of surface damage but the surface looks suspicious, especially the reverse.

Only 12-20 are known today so it is very unlikely that yours is real, the 12-20 that exist are in private hands with a nice pedigree. How did you get yours? I would be worried if it was extremely cheap and bought at a shady street corner, all the real ones go to private auctions.

Good luck, I hope it's real.

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

99.99999999999999999999% chance of it being a fake

Spud Koolzip likes this.
  6. jerry45

jerry45 Member

Color is off cuz i used a photoshop to try get a better image ill upload the original photos later with no filters

7. jerry45

jerry45 Member

Ive debated on sending it to ngc but to be honest if it is a fake id rather go on not knowing at the moment lol. The weight is correct and from what i can tell with my microscope the CC location is close if not right on

jello likes this.
  8. jerry45

jerry45 Member

and no a magnet does not stick to it. And i never purchase coins from "a shady street corner dealer"

9. dfraser

dfraser Junior Member

If you did not pay six figures, either you, the seller or both knew something was wrong.

10. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I don't own any of these but at first glance I felt sure it was a fake. It just looks very off.

11. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

If coin has everything is in Red book details on date and mint mark.
    I'm not going to say fake til the see a good close up photos of coin.

Bad photo don't make fake.

Kip Caven likes this.
  12. C G Memminger

C G Memminger Active Member

how precise is your scale? meaning does it measure to 1/10 of a gram, 1/100th of a gram? This coin is in circulate condition, and should weigh slightly less than 5.0 grams.

also. appears the 76-CC 20 cent coins were not released to the public. The 10 or so known to exist were apparently obtained by Treasury officials. see article:

http://www.numismaticnews.net/article/few-1876-cc-20-cents-saw-light-of-day

13. jerry45

jerry45 Member

My scale is right it flashed from 4.9g to 5g back n forth. I did not purchase this coin i obtained it from my grandpas dads collection. Im not argueing if its fake or real im just sharing some of my coins with this group. Isnt that why we all joined? IMG_20150305_211408094.jpg IMG_20150305_211348257.jpg

14. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

With the better pictures , it isn't even close.

15. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

I understand your sentiment. It's rough posting a picture of some coins and getting a bunch of negative feedback. The other side though, is you post a thread about a true American rarity, people are going to be a lot more excited about a real one, not so much about a fake one. Had you posted, hey check out this coin from my grandfathers collection, that would be one thing, but you said check out my 1876 CC twenty cent piece.

As others have indicated, it's a fake. The 1876 CC twenty piece was struck from one set of dies, which had heavy doubling on the obverse, especially on the shield and the words 'Liberty', but also on the stars. Your coin lacks these diagnostic die characteristics.

Spud Koolzip likes this.
  16. C G Memminger

C G Memminger Active Member

Jerry: no one is busting your chops here. When you post, you can expect all kinds of replies...good, bad and ugly. This thread is not negative. I see it as educational. I have bought and sold only a few 20 cent coins, and most the ones I have encountered had problems (cleaning at top of list). I learned something today, as I have never researched the 76-CC coin.

I recently saw a fake 1879 trade dollar at a flea market. Looked VF+. Guy wanted $100. I am not very knowledgeable on trades, but fortunately I had my trusty iPhone. I went to numismedia.com, figured out that the 79s were all issued as proofs, and were very rare.

17. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

18. coinman1234

It looks very fake, the details are way to fuzzy, not very sharp and the color is off. Very sure it is a cast fake.

19. planman2014

planman2014 Active Member

20. coinman1234

21. coinman1234

Wow! That was very very uncalled for. You could have explained yourself but to leave a comment that outrageous and horrible, it really shocked me. That comment is completely uncalled for on a family forum like this. I'm sorry you feel that way about the problem. Please try to express your problem less aggressively next time.
    There are better WAY ways to express yourself and that comment is not one of them.

coin0709 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.