1875 Seated Half w/Motto -- Grade Opinions Welcome

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by sf340flier, Dec 14, 2006.

1. sf340flier

sf340flier New Member

Picked this up from my local dealer. It was from a local estate collection he just picked up. This is not my usual area, so any and all opinions are welcome.

The white spots on the obverse are on the 2X2, not the coin (I normally remove this for photos, but not this time).

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

looks AU to me. Nice coin!

4. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

I WOULD CALL IT AU 53 - NICE COIN :thumb:

5. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

I agree! Although "IN GOD WE TRUST" appears weak or worn, the amount of details that are not worn and unblemished should maintain an AU grade. The coin does appear that it has had an old cleaning (note: the amount of dirt in and around the design elements and very little in the fields) but has picked up more dirt over the years.

The Other, Other Frank

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

XF 40 is my sense.
    would have to see it in-hand to see how much luster is left -- the grade could be higher or lower depending.
    nice coin, no matter the grade.
    love seated halves, and that's a well above average one from the looks.
    one thing to be careful of is hidden hairlines then retoning. the coin has the look of one that was once wiped and has since retoned.
    provided they're not there, that's a great pickup.
    if they are, it may still be depending on the price.
    hope this helps...Mike

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I would have to agree with Mike, an XF 40 or 45.
    There dosen't appear to be any luster left, and an AU has to have some.
    Still, a very nice piece.
    Note: As soon as I hear the word "estate" I usually run, away. Especially on Ebay.

8. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

sf340flier,

How about posting pictures of the coin outside of the 2x2. The coin appears to still have Mint luster that is being degraded in the pictures by the mylar covering and I believe that a much better assessment of the coin can be made with new pictures!

The Other, Other Frank

9. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I don't grade it higher than XF---the detail is great and sharp but I think the lack of luster and the detail on Ms Liberty is what holds it back.

Speedy

10. NathansCoin

NathansCoin New Member

11. 09S-V.D.B

09S-V.D.B Coin Hoarder

Looks like a little luster remaining on the reverse, but not enough for AU. XF-45

12. sf340flier

sf340flier New Member

Thanks for all the great feedback! As a side note, I bought this for XF retail ($100). My dealer felt comfortable with the XF grade and I felt it may slide to AU (we are actually very honest with each other).

I don't see any hairlines, but I do see some evidence of a light cleaning. It doesn't bother me too much. I have included closeups of the fields. You can see the porosity, but I don't see any area with multiple hairlines.

I have also removed the coin from its 2X2 and taken some shots. I think there is a tiny bit of luster on the obverse thigh and in a few skirt lines and maybe an equal amount on the reverse (maybe 5% overall).

I appreciate all the comments so far and this coin is on its way to a very nice place in my 7070!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

flier:
    Still nice, however, whatis that crud in front of Liberty's face?
    And is that a scratch in front of her face?
    Good Luck.
    Frank

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

For whatever it's worth sf3, that's not porosity on your coin. Those marks are the result of hits and dings during circulation.

15. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

That would preclude it from being an AU, would it not?

Ruben

16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Absolutely, I would grade it XF40. If it did have porosity, it would be considered as damaged and ungradeable by the TPGs.

Draft saved Draft deleted