1875-S Twenty Cent Super Rare Proof?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BigTee44, Feb 20, 2015.

1. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I'm not seeing the extremely fine detail on the head of Liberty or the eagle's feathers or breast, which despite the presence of other die markers, leads me to think this is not one of the "special strikes." However without mint records or some other kind of documentation it hard to say what was going on with the manufacture of these "branch mint proofs." Still an exceptional example, from the images.

jello likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

I'm "all in" - PROOF! But I don't win at poker very often :mad:

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Do I see a wire rim from 12 to 3 o'clock on the obverse, and 11 to 5 or so on the reverse?

5. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Nice Proof like strike 1875-S Twenty cent !
    Proof Like is a Guess.

:)

6. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Based on that link, I am fairly confident that the coin you posted was struck from the dies used to make the other 'proof' coins. I put proof in quotes because it's probably open for debate if any of those coins are true proofs. With that said, I think any other determination would require the coin in hand. Basically you're looking for depth of mirrors, concavity of the fields, squareness of the rims, etc. Stuff that would just be tough to ascertain from the pictures you provided.

Either way, wonderful coin and one I would certainly have an expert evaluate in hand. Best of luck!

jello likes this.
  7. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

This is going to seem silly, but that coin isn't a proof until PCGS or NGC says so, and even then it is only speculative.

8. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Not silly, quite a few coins are in the same boat... Breen was pretty liberal in what he called proofs.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  9. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I wonder too would not be surprised if it is a crack out

10. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I'm not convinced it's a proof, just not crisp enough for me. I am convinced about the existence of branch mint 1875-S proofs though and have seen two very convincing examples. Here is my proof 77 for comparison. image.jpg image.jpg

rev1774, micbraun, BigTee44 and 2 others like this.
  11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I thought NGC and PCGS had said no to these long ago. I guess I'm wrong.
    I can see where PCGS has graded 3 that they are calling Special Strikes.
    What does NGC have to say?

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Very neat.

And those rims may qualify it as a proof--

but, hey, I ain't no expert on these.

But, I would buy it

And I (personally) do not like 20 centers.

13. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

That is not a proof. It may be a nice prooflike, however.

Proofs wouldn't have a die clash like that - and if they did, all of the research and die markers would mention it. That is a significant clash, and would be an easy marker. Hence - not a proof.

Also, NGC has designated 1875S as proof before - a search of the Heritage archives turns up a single example (in an NCS slab) designated as Proof.

14. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I would think a business strike of that caliber would be rarer than the proof.

15. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Maybe, but I'd put the grade at MS-66 tops and this would be a difference of price between a proof and business strike somewhere between 80-100K.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  16. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

17. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

My only comment besides beautiful coin is flatten those staples before they scratch another coin. :)

jello and Hommer like this.
  18. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

The toning does not appear to be market acceptable, imo.

KoinJester likes this.
  19. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

It's raw for a reason.

20. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

What makes you say that, looks completely natural to me. I'm not trying to question your opinion, but I've been wrong in spotting this a few times and want to see what you are seeing.

21. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

It appears splotchy and uneven around the rims, and the magenta to deep blue toning are considered 3rd and 4th cycle toning colors. Its hard to tell with the pictures provided, I just question it and cant be 100% either way. For the age of the coin I would like to see a more steady even toning progression.

Draft saved Draft deleted