1875-S Twenty Cent Super Rare Proof?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BigTee44, Feb 20, 2015.

1. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

Here it is. What do you think? Only 7-9 are known to exist.

This isn't my coin, the owner gave me permission to list it here.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

MIGuy, JPeace$, mikenoodle and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Holy... freakin'... cow.

Nice coin.

And it's raw? Wonder why.

4. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Very nice.

There are still a lot of collectors who like coins raw. Them and a lot of dealers know enough to purchase them that way. I use several dealers I trust to buy raw coins from.

5. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Boy that eagle is criiiiiisp. I can't even afford a 20 cent piece let alone that.

MIGuy, coins776 and coinman1234 like this.
  6. BigTee44

So would you say it's the proof?

7. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Wonder what happened to the rest of them? There were 1,155,000 minted!

Beautiful coin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I'm not an expert. The eagle looks sharper than a normal issue, super sharp actually. But the obverse has a weak head and cap.... but that might just be the angle and lighting.

MIGuy likes this.
  9. BigTee44

Total yes, but some of them used the dies from the Philly mint used on proofs.

10. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Active Member

Coolest one I've seen!

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's not a proof. The S mintmark tells us that.

12. BigTee44

13. BigTee44

14. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Lifted from Heritage:

'The diagnostics he listed are: three horizontal scratches in the bars of the shield and a small triangular die chip very near the staff just below the hand. On the reverse, there is a small scratch from the bottom leaf above the T in CENTS to the S in CENTS, and there is pronounced separation from overzealous die polishing on the bottom serif of the S in CENTS. All these diagnostics are present on this coin except the three horizontal scratches.'

http://coins.ha.com/itm/twenty-cent...-20c-artificial-toning-ncs-proof/a/1136-843.s

Not sure about what looks like a die clash to the right of the arm, but the die chip appears below the hand, and the serifs on the TS in CENTS look similar to the proof coin, although your pictures are a bit blurry. Interesting, and I would certainly look into it more!

MIGuy likes this.
  15. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

From same heritage auction:

'The striking details are not absolutely complete, but not all branch mint proofs show the same strength of strike as their Philadelphia counterparts. It may well be that branch mint personnel were not familiar with the requirements for proof production as were employees in Philadelphia--they may well have been more concerned with producing a "pretty coin" for some occasion, than adhering to the rigorous requirements of proof coinage in the mother mint.'

Your insightful concerns may not rule out a proof. I'm no expert either!

16. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I was just reading on a book on Twenty Cent pieces - It mentioned "See why the 1875-S" is not really a proof. Might just be what beef1020 mentioned.

17. Markus1959

Just wondering why is that? Mylar coin pictures don't turn out as well as just raw under the camera!!

18. BigTee44

http://www.doubledimes.com/1875S-BMP.html

mikenoodle likes this.
  19. Markus1959

20. BigTee44

That's what we're trying to figure out

21. Markus1959

Well the eagle looks fantastic as compared to the proof page and your picture shows a dislocated left side of the "T" -
    that's a start!

Draft saved Draft deleted