1875 Indian weak strike/die trial

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Lorenzo Pappaceno, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Found this going through my grandmas old collection and wanting to see if it would be worth grading or anything more than a few dollars

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Silverpop

Silverpop Well-Known Member

looks to be post mint damage to me

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Yea , That's unfortunate too .

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Nope. Just worn and damaged, I'm afraid. Neither a weak strike nor a die trial. It's definitely PMD (post-mint damage), as mentioned.

The damage is kind of interesting, though. It looks to me as though someone started to make a love token out of it, but never finished the job.

Here's an interesting Civil War military-themed love token I once had, done on an 1863 Indian cent.

1863 IHC LT.png

@Paddy54 also has some neat ones done on Indian cents.

Paddy54 likes this.
  7. lordmarcovan

Y'know what I'd do with that? I'd hire a hobo nickel artist (we have one or two in residence here, I think), and have 'em carve something cool onto that blank reverse, to complete the job that the Victorian would-be craftsman left unfinished.

It would then become a one-of-a-kind collectible that would be more appreciated, instead of just a damaged coin everybody that looks down their nose at.

"Have somebody carve something onto your coin" is definitely not the sort of advice I'd usually give, but, hey- if the coin is already damaged, and you've got a blank canvas there on the reverse, so to speak... well... it's just an idea...

Railguy and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  8. lordmarcovan

Wait, wait! Never mind.

Actually... you know... looking closer at that, it appears that maybe there was a love token done there after all. Just a very crude one. Does anybody else see a capital "D" initial on there like I do?

Rotate the reverse to the left a few degrees. See it there? I'm almost certain now that there is a hand-carved "D" on there.

@Lorenzo Pappaceno - your grandma or someone else in your family didn't by any chance have a "D" initial in their name, did they?

There you have it. It's a crude 19th century love token. I'm almost sure of that now. Though the engraving is not particularly artistic, its being a love token raises it above "plain old damaged coin" status, at least.

Still not worth more than a few bucks, but a bit more interesting, anyway.

Randy Abercrombie and expat like this.
  9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I do see a D also, looks to be made with a very fine chisel point. It also has a well defined finger/palm print on the reverse side.

Heavymetal and lordmarcovan like this.
  10. lordmarcovan

Yes, if they had an 1870s fingerprint database, you could ID the “artist”. ;)

Heavymetal and alurid like this.
  11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Nah! It's a purse that some street thug ripped of a woman's shoulder.

I think you're both suffering from pareidolia!

Draft saved Draft deleted