1875-CC Quarter -- School me on Grading

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by benveniste, Aug 31, 2022.

1. benveniste

benveniste Type Type

Not my auction:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/144698866859

I have a long term goal of putting together an 1875-CC year set. I was looking at this coin today, and, at least to my eye, the reverse is closer to VG-10 than to VF-25. After all, even an F12 coin should show more ribbon detail. But then I looked at Photograde online. The reverse of their VF25 exemplar is also an 1875-CC, and it too shows no sign of the word "IN" and a very weak ribbon in general.

Is this issue known for a weak strike, or is this just another example of market grading of a somewhat scarce coin?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Can you please post photos and not a link?

4. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

There is a lot more relief remaining on the obverse as opposed to one that would would grade as low as VG-10. Quite a bit of meat left in the shield and Liberty's hand.

The reverse can't help the grade but is able to hurt it.. I'd say the obverse gives me a feeling of VF-30, but the reverse is closer to F-15 or VF-20. Plus the old cleaning, I think it deserves to be a VF-25.

As for the price... PCGS (notoriously inflated price guide) lists it at $1,100.. Only time I'm seeing them sell even close to that price at auction are for CAC, or spectacular examples. Even then, those sales are from nearly a decade ago.

longshot likes this.
  5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

6. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I think the grade is ok, the eagle's wing is often weak as is Liberty's head. The price guide is probably not up to date; Heritage last sold a vf25 about 6 years ago! Seller has it priced at CAC retail. CC's are always hot and it's a hot market .

Evan Saltis and Cheech9712 like this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The grade looks good to me.

Kentucky likes this.
  8. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Ok by me.
    I too think it hints at an old cleaning, but it is fairly attractive

Evan Saltis likes this.
  9. Evan Saltis

At the same time, we are talking about the 1870's... A little late for market acceptable cleaning in my experience but yes, CC mint coins get a bit of a pass due to the unparalleled desirability. Only 140,000 minted of this date and MM - very clearly a coin deserving of a straight grade, all things considered.

longshot likes this.
  10. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The coin looks like a VF-20 to me. The remaining detail and the surfaces indicate that grade to me. Might it have cleaned lightly in the past? Probably. Does it matter? Not in my opinion. It’s is a good coin to fill slot in a mid grade circulated set.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  11. Evan Saltis

It most definitely has an old cleaning, at the very least a decades-old (maybe a century) dip.

I also agree that it doesn't matter. Not sure why I keep replying to this thread besides the fact that I very much adore the coin.

12. johnmilton

Dipping is not cleaning. Cleaning involves brushing and rubbing. Dipping involves a minor removal of oxidized metal. If you dip too often or dip in acid that is too strong, you can ruin the coin, just like cleaning.

Dipping, done properly, can be “restoration,” but debating the issue with the purists is a waste of time. Some of them get turned on by dipped coins that have retuned.

Dynoking and Kentucky like this.
  13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Dipping on coins less than XF or AU can give an odd appearance.

johnmilton likes this.
  14. johnmilton

Yes, that’s why you don’t do it. There might be a high end AU that could benefit from a dip, but it’s highly unusual.

Kentucky and Evan Saltis like this.
  15. Evan Saltis

Dipping is, simply put, chemical cleaning.

Mechanical cleaning would involve a brush, rubbing, etc as you mentioned.

Kentucky likes this.
  16. benveniste

benveniste Type Type

Thanks for your comment. I agree that the obverse is a solid VF-25 and wouldn't object to a "split grade" of VF-30. It's the reverse I was wondering about.

I don't think it's a $1300 coin either, but my budget for this issue is in the $1000-$2000 range and I'm not under any sort of time pressure. So I'm trying to figure out what I can realistically get for my money.

17. Evan Saltis

Maybe the seller has it listed elsewhere, or you can find a way to contact them. Could probably get it cheaper! No harm in asking, if you truly think you may want this coin.

I think there could be a better one out there you could get.

Draft saved Draft deleted