1874 type 3 $1 DDO or beautiful counterfeit?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kevin Trivett, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Kevin Trivett

Kevin Trivett Member

I had it up, no hands..I think I just have crappy lighting, I got a Samsung S9+, its takes good pictures any other time. idk.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kevin Trivett

Kevin Trivett Member

Even with it being uncirculated? That clash makes it hard for me to see any damage. Idk.. I seen the doubling and got excited. I am new to gold. I'm not so much worried about the grade as I am its authenticity.. If I can just get this confirmed as an error, I'll be ok. The 1880 O Morgan Dollar I got, it's an error too. So, we shall see if this man knew what he was doing.

4. Dug13

Dug13 Well-Known Member

It is number 38 of 50 most counterfeit ed coins submitted to NGC.

5. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

This coin comes very suspicious.
    Give it back or send it to a TPG.
    After that all of us are wiser:happy:

Seattlite86 and micbraun like this.
  6. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

7. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Why do you think it’s unc? Even if it was authentic, it shows wear, damage/scratches and what looks like the results of a cleaning.

8. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

9. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

Micbraun uncovers this coin as a forgery.
    Good Job, Mike.

micbraun likes this.
  10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It may be a gold forgery, so there is melt value.
    $68

micbraun likes this.
  11. Kevin Trivett

Kevin Trivett Member

I'll check with the loupe once I get home, if it is, I'll get my money back. Everything I've seen that's questionable has turned out to be some type of clash.

12. Kevin Trivett

Kevin Trivett Member

13. Kevin Trivett

Kevin Trivett Member

Well, it's wrote on the slip but I know, doesnt mean that it is.. If it wasn't for the trust I've built with the old man and his family that I bought it off of and the other things playing a part and adding up, I wouldnt have even bought it. Anything that I seen that appeared to be damaged has been either die scratches and clashing. However, I am unfamiliar with gold coins but I assumed the same rules applied, but I'm feeling in over my head. Haha Will definitely be the last one I buy for now. Again, Thank you for your insight, I really appreciate it and I will look for those tool marks and let you know. Have a good day.

14. Kevin Trivett

Kevin Trivett Member

Didnt see no tool marks, only weird die clashing, l see heads and faces hiding behind the letters.. Its weird. 20190623_155030 (1).jpg 20190623_160741.jpg 20190624_013906.jpg

15. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Are you setting a timer to auto take the photo, or just pushing the button yourself? Use a 3 or 5 second timer. Sorry, but the photos should not be this blurry. I think your camera distance to the coin might also be an issue. I think it might actually be too close. You actually have too much light, but that doesn’t explain the blurring. Is anyone else at your house that can give it a try? Sometimes another set of eyes can catch something missed.

Kevin Trivett likes this.
  16. Kevin Trivett

Kevin Trivett Member

I'm like 3 inches off of it, up on my phone case actually. I think you're right, I'm too close and the flash of light has really nowheres to go but reflect back at me. It has a delay time, my hand is free when it finally takes the pic. I'll fix that.. Thx

Seattlite86 likes this.
  17. Seattlite86

Don’t use flash. That ruins the focus. Put a light nearby that’s constant and turn the flash off. And maybe try 4-5 inches away.

Kevin Trivett likes this.
  18. Kevin Trivett

Kevin Trivett Member

20190626_011809.jpg 20190626_011902.jpg 20190626_011840.jpg 20190626_012315.jpg 20190626_012018.jpg 20190626_012549.jpg 20190626_012342.jpg 20190626_011239.jpg 20190626_011728.jpg 20190626_011540.jpg

19. Kevin Trivett

Kevin Trivett Member

Hope these help.. Thx

20. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Didn't they make a lot of gold coins in the 70's, not intended to be counterfeits,
    but just as a way to smuggle the gold out of the country? And sell it in another market where the gold price was higher? From the Middle East.
    Here is a story I found:
    It is no surprise that United States gold coins have long been the target of counterfeiters. A wave of deceptive forgeries appeared in the marketplace in the 1960s and ’70s, and many of these continue to be encountered by dealers, collectors and NGC. These spurious pieces were often well struck and made from the correct gold alloy, which can make them particularly deceptive.

[​IMG]

Although China is believed to be the source of most of the fakes from the last decade or two, in the 1960s and ’70s the Middle East was the primary manufacturer–at least of gold coins. Middle Eastern merchants preferred gold coins as a store of value and as long as the weight and composition were correct, they were not particularly concerned whether the coin was authentic or not.

Many of these counterfeit gold coins ended up in the United States, where they found their way into collections of the era. There is a theory that some people knowingly purchased these fakes because at the time Americans were prohibited to own gold except for certain collectible coins (the ban on private gold ownership lasted from 1933 until 1974). Those people who wanted to own gold had limited options and, much like the Middle Eastern merchants of the era, were less concerned about authenticity than they were about gold content.

[​IMG]

This 1912 Indian Head Eagle is a prime example of one of these 35- to 50-year-old forgeries. It has the correct composition and the correct weight. It is well struck with sharp details and mostly smooth fields. There are, however, raised lumps between stars 12 and 13, which are usually telltale signs of a fake. Raised spikes, another diagnostic, are seen at the rim in several places and, most prominently, to the left of the L in LIBERTY. Finally, there are tiny patches of tool marks, such as above the IB in PLURIBUS, where the counterfeiter tried to touch up the dies.

[​IMG]

Gold coin forgeries like this one are seen regularly when older collections come to market and can be quite challenging. Thankfully they still have some intrinsic gold value, which usually tempers the loss, but there is no numismatic premium. Of course, any coin worth as much as a gold eagle should be carefully evaluated and only purchased if its authenticity is an absolute certainty.

Kevin Trivett and Seattlite86 like this.
  21. Seattlite86

Looks like two different coins. Sorry, still don’t trust them. 9E9DD815-3552-4BC8-8012-B9119501302C.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted