1874 type 3 $1 DDO or beautiful counterfeit?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kevin Trivett, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Kevin Trivett

Kevin Trivett Member

I think thats the problem, I'm missing the right lighting, that'll be what I'll focus more on. Thx

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

A lot of genuine Type III gold Dollars have doubled lettering. That does mark the coin as counterfeit. I don't care for the rough surfaces on the piece that was shown here. I would not purchase that pieces because I have serious doubts about its authenticity.

It would great if you could bring you photos to the body of the posts. Having them as a footnote makes it harder to open and view them.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. Kevin Trivett

Kevin Trivett Member

I hope I'm not seeing things.. Haha

Attached Files:

5. Kevin Trivett

Kevin Trivett Member

Attached Files:

6. Kevin Trivett

Kevin Trivett Member

Sorry, was just making sure I took enough

Attached Files:

7. Kevin Trivett

Kevin Trivett Member

I'm not sure I know what you mean by the body of the post, im sorry.

8. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

He means you click insert every image as "full image" instead of just clicking "post reply" after uploading. Here's how the full image looks when you click it:
    1943 P Lamination Error.jpg

Here's what it looks like when you don't click that:
    1943 P Lamination Error.jpg

Kevin Trivett likes this.
  9. Kevin Trivett

Kevin Trivett Member

Got ya, thx

Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. Kevin Trivett

Kevin Trivett Member

11. Kevin Trivett

Kevin Trivett Member

I probably could have done without all the extra pics of the same pic, Sorry.. So what are we looking for exactly, to determine rather or not this is counterfeit or error? And is it normal to be seeing ppl and faces in the balls around the rim and what looks like kids peeking out behind the letters when its clashing?

12. Seattlite86

13. Kevin Trivett

Kevin Trivett Member

$300, ‍♂️ But if it turns out to be real, what am I lookin at vaule wise.. lts just everything this man had that I have now, checks out.. They all have an error, I mean I got a 1958 that has a visible extra 1butted up to the one and it looks doubled, among other things and theres like 3 more gold piece left.. I wanna buy them. I'm not [edited- violation of Rule 1], I lucked up. I live in a small town in Tennessee, the guy I got these coins off of, is an older gentleman, real nice and he loves Morgan Dollars, the rest he can careless aniut.. So, next step is a dealer. Thank you all for the wisdom. God bless

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2019
  14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

What does it weigh? That's usually very valuable information.
    If it's real, it's worth less than $300. Maybe $275.
    If there is a true doubled die, then more.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Kevin Trivett and Seattlite86 like this.
  15. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I’d get my $300 back ASAP.

16. Seattlite86

I’ve been collecting for a good number of years and even I feel uncomfortable buying raw gold coins, because I haven’t studied them. I highly recommend you not buy any more until you learn more and authenticate the one you have.

17. Kevin Trivett

Kevin Trivett Member

It checks out good one weight and diameter.. I think its authentic, if you just knew where I got it, the story behind who owned if and the many many errors I got and keep going back to get because of it. I'm just gonna send it off for grading, I'm confident itll be an a investment and not a mistake.

18. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Are you aware that this G$1 will never receive a straight grade? Even if it was authentic it has so many problems that “AU Details - scratched/damaged” is the best result you can expect. I don’t want to trash your coin, but it appears you’re new to gold dollars.

19. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Is there a known DD for this date?
    That is the first thing I would check as a discovery coin after 145 years is unlikely.

micbraun likes this.
  20. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I can’t call it. If fake I’d say definitely made of right gold content. Possibly one of those old fakes from the 70s. I’d have to see in hand. I’d send it out to pcgs or at least anacs for authentication

21. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

You need to use a tripod or book to hold your camera phone steady. Dont try to "free hand" it when taking pictures close up.

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted