1873 trade dollar

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by wallace wisdom, May 26, 2016.

1. hey guys would any one know if this is worth more than face value , if so how much ? DSC02310.JPG DSC02308.JPG DSC02307.JPG DSC02306.JPG DSC02304.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I don't think it's even worth that . Looks like a fake to me . Wish you had clearer pics but I never seen dentils like that an a real Trade dollar .

4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Short of selling as a novelty, it's not even worth it's non-existent face value.

5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Counterfeit! Sometimes you can find these in the $2-3 box at a show if they are not silver.

Just noticed something: the reverse is the Type 2M that was just in Numismatic News. This reverse was not used until several years later.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  6. rzage

After looking at the one clear pic it's a fake . Sorry .

7. rzage

Dang you 2 are fast . lol

8. Insider

Whadayamean. You beat every one.

9. rzage

But that was before I posted after looking at the one clear pick . ;)

10. rzage

Also a great pickup on the Type 2M .

11. Insider

As I wrote...Post#7.

12. Insider

I see you know your Trade Dollars.;)

13. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

This is in the error coins forum - where's the error?

14. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

That it was ever made.... ;)

Insider, rzage and Lon Chaney like this.
  15. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The error is someone thinking they could do an 1873 Trade Dollar fake with a reverse that wasn't released until 1875. :)

16. Insider

From the auction records, dealer ads, and sets it is apparent that an extremely high number of knowledgeable professional numismatists were not aware of this particular reverse so why should we expect the counterfeiters to recognize it didn't belong on this date Trade $.:wideyed:

17. wait you guys are telling me this is COUNTERFIET as in illegal to have ???

18. and sorry about posting this on the wrong forum, wow i paid $ 100.00 for that thing that sucks

19. Insider

No, it is a counterfeit that is legal to have UNLESS you try to sell it as a genuine coin.

Now, Don't be buying any coins unless it is from a coin dealer with a store or at a coin show. And best to by certified coins if you are spending that amount of money.

20. rzage

I hope you stay here and learn about coins , as all of us started out as newbies . To tell the truth I thought I new a lot about coins till I joined this forum , what I did learn 1st was how much I didn't know . Trade dollars is a great series and you're coming in when more is known about them then ever before . Chalk this one up to learning dues
    As it is the most counterfeited coin I know . But if you read some excellent threads you can start to learn what to look for to be able to tell real trades from fakes . One of the better ones is by ksparrow , look it up you'll be glad you did .

21. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The leaf hanging below the top line of 900 and FINE, and the arrowhead extending past the right edge of the 2 in 420, are indicators of the Type 2 Reverse, which was not first used until 1875. Your coin is therefore conclusively a counterfeit. That's the bad news. The good news is, Federal law with regard to possession of counterfeits goes to intent, in that you must intend to pass them as "real" to be in violation of statute.

The additional bad news is, mere possession is illegal in some states via their own statutes.

In the real world, the Secret Service is not going to raid your home. Numismatists collect counterfeits for their own educational purposes regularly; I have two or three myself.

Draft saved Draft deleted