1873 Indian Head Penny

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by MowzerXD, Jul 27, 2018.

1. MowzerXD

MowzerXD Member

Any information or guesses on what this is worth?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Well hard to tell from those photos.
    Is it an Open 3? Is it a Closed 3?
    Is LIBERTY doubled?
    Has it been cleaned?
    Generally 1873 is a very good date and carries good value, but it is important to know what kind it is.

4. MowzerXD

MowzerXD Member

I'm don't know much about older currency. I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out with some of that information. I can provide better pictures of the date and liberty if needed

5. MowzerXD

MowzerXD Member

For now, i have these photos. I will get back to you with higher resolution photos in a few. As far as cleaning goes, i, personally have never cleaned it. It is possible it has been cleaned in the past by a previous owner, because there is weird coloring on it. They're probably just as likely environmental damage due to the coins age.

Attached Files:

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

By my reckoning, your coin has around VF (Very Fine) details, gradewise, but also some surface issues which would devalue it somewhat below the VF20 grade/price level.

Here are the Numismedia trend values for the 1873 Indian cents:
    • They price the Open 3 at $55 in F12 and $83 in VF20.
    • They price the Closed 3 at $61 in F12 and $81 in VF20.
    Below is a date comparison of the varieties from PCGS Coinfacts.

I think "Closed 3" is a bit of a misnomer for this variety, since the 3 isn't really "closed" at all- it just has the balls of the serifs slightly closer together. Really, I find it easier not to focus on the 3 but rather on the overall size of the date itself, and its proximity to the rim. See the difference there?

[​IMG]

I'm really not sure which variety your coin is, but assuming VF detail and deducting some for the minor surface roughness, I'd say it's a $30 coin on the low end and $50-ish on the high end, but that's just my take on the matter. There's not a really big price spread between the two varieties at this grade level. And the surface issues are a bit of a curve ball- different folks would discount that differently, if you know what I mean.

But Indian cents from the 1870s are nice to have, and that one has some nice detail despite its minor problems.

MowzerXD and ldhair like this.
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

This is where I am at, if uncleaned. Also beat me to the photo comparison. YOU HAVE TO GET UP PRETTY EARLY IN THE MORNING.

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted