1873 $2-1/2 Liberty Head

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Clawcoins, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

okay, from what little I know, this looks to be cleaned.
    What would it be graded, value. What are the problems?, etc?
    as long as it's not a fake I'll be fine
    18% gray card white balanced.
    1873_2half_gold (1 of 2).jpg
    1873_2half_gold (2 of 2).jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Definitely cleaned . . . certainly AU58 or better before the cleaning.

4. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I'm thinking you're using lights of two different color temperatures. The camera is white balanced to the one at Noon, but the one at 3:00 is too yellow and will throw off surface opinions.

One swipe across an ironed cotton shirt can create all the hairlines we see here at once, so I don't consider them any evidence of cleaning. It has to be a guess because of the differing color temperatures, but my guess is original surfaces and some very_slight handling over the years as the coin spent most of its' time in one money chest or another.

5. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Yes, some light hairlines, but I have had MS63 coins look the same when shot at certain angles. It has enough luster that it might grade. I would like more pictures under different light though.

Insider likes this.
  6. Clawcoins

There was a spot light around 3 which I thought of turning off but was lazy and didn't
    I was using two Nikon sb800s and a sb700

I'll setup lighting the right way and reshoot when I get a chance

So a simple swipe across a shirt can cause those scratches .. I guess gold is soft. Can the same force/material do the same to silver, copper, nickel coins?

7. SuperDave

No, not nearly so easily, except for Proofs with their sensitive surfaces.. Folks new to grading gold consistently undergrade it vs. TPG's; that's a place where we have to make our own decisions as to how much leeway we allow gold for being so soft.

8. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I believe it to be cleaned , if it was just swiped across a shirt the hairlines wouldn't be all over the coin and would be fairly parallel to each other . Hope she straight grades for you , though I myself wouldn't spend the money as it's a common date but worth keeping . I'm in at AU-58 .

9. SuperDave

The cleaning that would lightly "hairline" a silver coin will destroy gold.

10. Clawcoins

Maybe this is better. Otherwise I'd have to set up my macro stuff instead of doing quickie lighting and handheld.
    1873_2half_gold (2 of 2).jpg ....
    1873_2half_gold (1 of 2).jpg

11. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Top pics are way better , I can't see any tooling marks or other pups to think it's fake , looks real as rain to me .

12. anderspud

anderspud Active Member

You've gotten good illumination. Now work on the focus.

13. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

MISINFORMATION ALERT! You think?:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Don't see any "market unacceptable rub" so Unc enough with continuous hairlines = 61. But we'll never know for sure as not worth grading unless you can get a "show special."

14. Insider

No, No, absolutely not. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: See Post#12. The majority of "light-catching streaks" on your coin (hairlines) are more serious than any hairlines from a shirt. However, from the photo your coin is NOT CLEANED OR HARSHLY CLEANED either.

I formerly thought all coins that looked like yours were cleaned until I wised up. The hairlines on your coin can happen in a purse or pocket.

Don't take my word for it. Buy a cheap modern clad quarter PROOF and rub it across your cotton shirt once, twice, three times and watch what happens, you may get some micro hairlines. Now rub it across your dirty rug. Look at it. Then really rub it back and forth hard. Try it.

BTW, when I see some lint on my coin, up it goes to my shirt rather than walking across the room to remove the lint "properly." :smuggrin:

15. Clawcoins

Yeah, I was hand holding in macro mode .... I should have setup the tripod, remote trigger, etc. but didn't bother as I had about 5 minutes spare this morning. I'll redo when I actually have some time. :)

16. Insider

IMO, your original photos are good enough to comment on the coin.

17. SuperDave

They didn't wear their shirts as comfortable as we do, at the turn of the century. :)

With that said, you're technically correct; the point I wanted to make was that one swipe across something could cause that many marks on a gold coin. However, the second set of images showing hairlines running in a different direction - although it still doesn't make me think the coin mechanically cleaned - does make me think it saw more circulation than I originally thought.

Insider likes this.
  18. anderspud

anderspud Active Member

It may be an effort, but a tripod is basic for good focus. On the most recent photos the Obs shows sharp focus at 10 o'clock and hairlines, and at 4 o'clock things look blurry. Again the Rev shows sharp focus at 12 o'clock with sharpness and hairlines showing up the same way. We can't overcome the cleaning problem, but sharpness over the whole requires working with a wider depth of focus, i.e., a smaller aperture.

Draft saved Draft deleted