1873&1877 trade dollars

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by asimakis karachalios, May 29, 2016.

?

Help me about their authenticy

Poll closed Jun 5, 2016.
  1. yes

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. yes

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hello there.I won in an auction these two trade dollars for about 80 usd each from an english ebayer.Unfortunately i am not sure for their authenticy.Can you help me?These are the photos below.It is about to pay soon.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Shouldn't you have asked this before winning the auctions?

asimakis karachalios likes this.
  4. he told me that these are authentic but i saw the coins better and i see problem in date 1877.Much bigger the last 7

5. smarch

smarch Active Member

It is about to NOT pay soon. To me they look NOT good, can't wait for the more experienced to share their opinions.

6. i am not coins expert but a few years collector.I dont know much about trade dollars.Any opinion acceptable.

7. yes of course.I can wait for about 7 days more.What you dont like at these coins?

8. smarch

smarch Active Member

Compare your coins to some detailed online photos of the same dates. You might also give them a weight check and listen for tone difference when struck lightly. Of course you don't have them yet, so you have to rely on visuals. The seller assured you they are real. That's comforting.

9. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

The roughness of the 77, and the die cracks that are still showing despite the level of wear on the 73 make me really suspicious, if it were me, i wouldn't buy them.

10. Yes you have right.Iam very suspicious too.In the auction were 55 bids that makes me look for more informations.Thanks for your help.

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

They don't look real to me. There are some folks here that really know these. Let them join in before you pay for them.

12. ok mate.

13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I think your instincts are good here. That last 7 is completely wrong.

The denticles (pattern inside the rim of the coin) are also terrible on the obverse of both coins. That's a common giveaway for fakes.

I'll let trade-dollar experts weigh in on the rest of the design, but based on just the things I've mentioned, I wouldn't touch them.

*wolf7* and asimakis karachalios like this.
  14. T
    Thank you jeffB.I am going to let them go finally.

15. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

My first impression is they,re as phony as can be...But I,m not an expert. I think if I were to buy one of these, it would be slabbed and graded by experts...Well worth the extra money for peace of mind.

16. Thank you for your advice.

17. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Welcome to CT. Unfortunately, your coins are 100% counterfeit. They are so badly made that the average U.S. coin collector should spot them just as easy as @chascat did.

Follow the advice here and search the Internet for photos of a genuine coin of the same date. Don't buy any more expensive raw coins until you learn more about what they should look like.

W

18. Thank you for you advice.I know a lot of about greek and byzantine coins but not for americans.Many thanks.

19. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I wish I had your knowledge! I have just a few ancients and the first "owl" I bought at a flea market long ago was a very crude cast fake. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

20. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Both absolutely not real. Both cast fakes and rather poor ones. The denticles of both give them away. Along with the areas of damage mold cracks? Along lower right. The weakness of the centers and the crude rough looking rims. Along with the blobs of metal on the 73-s And the color and surfaces of the metal. They actually don't look like they're silver. I at first thought wondered if they're contemporary counterfeits. But they're probably made from molds of genuine coins. At least they got the type 1/1 of thd 73- right. The 77-s is 1/1 as well which is totally wrong for that date. Edited by me as I spaced that as I was looking at the wrong pic

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  21. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted