1872 CC Seated Quarter

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Eduard, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

1872 Cc Quarter REV VGP   (nice pic!) - 1.jpg 1872 CC quarter - OBV X N VVGP !!!!! this is the best  - 1.jpg 1872 CC quarter - OBV - LIBERTY close-up - VVVGGGPPP!!! - 1.jpg 1872 CC quarter - OBV X N VVGP !!!!! this is the best  - 1.jpg 1872 CC quarter - OBV - LIBERTY close-up - VVVGGGPPP!!! - 1.jpg I have shown this here before, a coin I've had for many years, ex Stacks in the early 90's.

Question for you guys: do you think the letters of the word LIBERTY are damaged and/or strengthened in any way?

I succeeded in taking better pics than I had before because I wanted to examine this area closely.

What do you guys think?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    john65999, NSP, buckeye73 and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

To me it just looks like it took a knock there during it's life circulating. Nothing so bad as to call it damaged, though. That's a lovely original rare date coin.

Eduard likes this.
  4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Agree it just looks like wear.
    Nice coin Eduard.

Eduard likes this.
  5. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Definitely damaged and not strengthened, IMO

Seated Liberty's/Liberties are one of my favorite coins

Eduard likes this.
  6. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Wear some damage or possibly even debris on a worn die. Nice coin of a tough date

Eduard likes this.
  7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree as well. The "ghosting" of the word Liberty on circulated coins happens and can sometimes look kind of strange.

"Damage" is a moving target to me. The more a coin gets worn, the more you expect it to take some hits. The lower the grade, the more severe something has to be for me to consider it damage.

Nice, rare coin sir. You do not see them often. Congratulations.

Eduard likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks like worn for circulation to me. Nice coin.

Eduard likes this.
  9. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

The coin has heavy circulation wear, not necessarily damage.

Eduard likes this.
  10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Take a look at TRUST also. I'm not a seated liberty collector, but something looks "off" on this coin.

11. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

The LIBERTY was recessed, and with heavier circulation the LIBERTY can still be clear but "weird" looking. I always called it "ghosting" when I was a heavy collector of SL halves. IMHO looks about as expected, but I agree these coins at this level of preservation can throw people off a little.

Eduard likes this.
  12. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

The ST in trust is a high point. In my opinion it appears to be as worn as other high points such as "IN." I could be wrong but looks okay to me. I like it.

Eduard likes this.
  13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's normal for this design.

Eduard likes this.
  14. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Interesting coin for sure! thumbsup.gif Looks like someone made some pin pricks on it but I'm thinking it may have been struck by a worn die and it's just normal wear! Nice, pricey quarter! :D

Eduard likes this.
  15. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

Nice, circulated seated liberty quarter. I don't see any unusual attributes that I would call "damage."

Eduard likes this.
  16. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

That’s a rare coin! I agree with the other posters that LIBERTY looks consistent with the wear/battle scars that a coin like this would accumulate over the years.

Do you have any other Seated Liberty Quarters from this time period? It seems like the majority of the quarters from 1866 to 1873 are really tough and expensive, particularly the Carson City issues.

17. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

As you mention, seated quarters from the 1866-1873 time period are quite scarce or downright rare, specially the CC issues. 1872 CC is the 'least rare' of the CC coins from this period.

This is the only other quarter I have from this era, an 1868-S, a coin which I would consider to be moderately scarce.

1868-S Quarter OBV - OKP - 1.jpg 1868-S Quarter REV - VGP - 1.jpg

john65999 and NSP like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted