1872-cc seated dime Au/Ms

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Profit man, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Profit man

Profit man Active Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg is this coin real? Thank you

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Not sure I would call this an AU except if the reverse strike was bad for this coin.

Also, the mint mark looks deceiving

Profit man likes this.
  4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's nothing AU/MS about this coin. Somebody more knowledgeable than me will have to comment on the mint mark, but I don't like it either.

5. K2Coins

K2Coins GO GATORS

The mint mark looks a bit off, and the strike looks extremely week, maybe test the weight of it out? My bets are on counterfeit

Weston and Profit man like this.
  6. K2Coins

K2Coins GO GATORS

[​IMG]
    Heres an authentic one, the CC looks different than yours, and the date is more level in this example.

7. K2Coins

K2Coins GO GATORS

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    But then there is also this example which looks VERY similar to yours...This one has me stumped

8. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Given that even a Fine sells for >3,000 I would not bet on it being real. The date does not look right but I do not know about the different obv. dies used. Not a coin I would be buying raw.

9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Not all rare coins are fake. Having said that... best send it to PCGS.

Paul M. likes this.
  10. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

The first C in CC looks kind of suspicious, so first weigh it. If it weighs around 2.50 grams, the coin could be genuine, so send it to ANACS and see what they think. If it turns out to be genuine, then send it to PCGS for maximum resale value if you ever plan to sell it.

Profit man likes this.
  11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

@Profit man, you started a thread recently about what people want in a coin dealer/store. Number one on the list is NO FAKE COINS. This one stinks of a fake, but don't leave it up to chance in hopes that someone will buy it and make you some quick cash. With coins this rare it is your duty to ensure it is real before selling it. I'm sure you know that.

12. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

From the images provided I can't make a call, in 1876 the cc mm has 3 possible mm. A level cc a second c high and second c low. Now this being a 72 cc there may possibly be a die marriage . I don't have any references on a 72 cc variety . But will agree with the others it's worth a shot. Send it in.
    And also agree since the photo is poor ,it needs to be seen in hand and verified by a TPG?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  13. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I doubt he owns the coin, otherwise he probably would have submitted it already... @Profit man : if it's genuine, that's maybe a VF but not an AU/MS coin.

14. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Since there is only 1 die marriage and yours isn't close .
    No broken S
    The 1 in the date is wrong font
    No its not real

Stevearino and Profit man like this.
  15. Profit man

Profit man Active Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg Here is a close up of date and mintmark

16. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Ok now I'm sure it's fake. Too bad! I once bought a rare date seated dime that turned out to be fake. The dealer refunded me in full. Think is was a 56 S

17. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

THIS COIN IS SO COUNTERFEIT :facepalm: that I'm totally embarrassed :shame:I kept reading past post#1 to find someone conclusively "step on this roach." :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: There was even two genuine comparison coins pictured.

18. Profit man

Profit man Active Member

Not everyone is an expert.

Insider and Stevearino like this.
  19. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Point well made :shame: and I agree; however, IMO you would think that even a long-time CT active member is competent enough to spot this "piece of chocolate." BTW, I'm no expert but I'm feeling like one tonight as I attended a grading seminar today that touched a tiny bit on the characteristics of counterfeit coins. :joyful:

In the first image, the coin's details are mushy and the date figures appear crude. In the magnified image of the date (#14) the date appears, crude, lumpy and misshaped. The surface of the coin looks original and frosty with no wear yet the coin lacks sharpness. This is often an indicator that a coin is a struck counterfeit. bads

micbraun and Jwt708 like this.
  20. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

The same reverse die was used on all CC dimes from 1871-1874. Only one die pair for this date.

Insider likes this.
  21. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

\

The 1 in the date?

How about the 8?

Draft saved Draft deleted