1872 Canadian Half- Cleaned?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Obone, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Obone

Obone Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Bought this coin in an ICCS VF-30 Holder. Thought it would upgrade to at least an XF in PCGS, plus I also wanted the trueviews. When I got the coin however, it seems to have weird coloring. I was wondering if it had been cleaned? A bit hard to tell in the ICCS Plastic.
    Thanks everyone
    20180808_162543.jpg 20180808_162603.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Yes, I would say cleaned. ICCS is not very good about putting "cleaned" in the remarks .. they just put down the technical "wear" grade. I think PCGS or NGC would just give it "details".

4. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

I don't think it has been cleaned

5. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

It might be easier to determine if taken out of the plastic. I see scuff marks on the plastic and where there's some, there's more . I'm leaning towards cleaned just because there's not one hint of toning, lighter, or darker areas on either side of the coin. If it were sealed in an airtight holder maybe, but just in a plastic slide sleeve the elements will still find it. IMHO of course, but I've been known to be wrong before.

Mr. Flute likes this.
  6. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

I say not cleaned because 90% of cleaned coins leave some residue around the devices where it is tougher to "scrub". There isnt any around the devices
    I would believe it was dipped though

7. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Looks dipped indeed

8. Obone

Obone Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies everyone! I personally think it was dipped, so my question is how likely would it be for PCGS to straight grade?
    Thanks

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Bill (in Burl) says it's 'cleaned, it probably is. Nice coin, though. Put it on the windowsill, with a southern exposure, and flip it over every now and then. Maybe 6 months from now you'll have something acceptable for the 'big three'.

Don't be a 'slave' to these guys though.......they have the whole community jumping through hoops to get things graded. Ya want it graded, buy it graded.........

10. Obone

Obone Well-Known Member

Its in an ICCS holder as VF-30. Thought it would grade a lot higher, thats why I bought it hoping to flip it.

11. green18

I didn't see that in the original photo. I saw a raw coin in a plastic flip.........you funnin' us dear fellow?

12. green18

Oh dear, that could be a 'holder'......never mind.....

13. Obone

Obone Well-Known Member

Do you guys think its undergraded?

14. Numismat

VF-30 [details] looks correct by Canadian grading standards.

15. Numismat

One thing you need to keep in mind @Obone is that even if this coin received a straight XF grade from NGC or PCGS, it would not be seen as such by people that collect these. Same is true for Aussie and NZ coins. They are trickier to grade because the wear can be more subtle... you look and think AU but it's really VF. Flipping these coins without losing money is a matter for people with a lot of experience.

16. Obone

Obone Well-Known Member

@Numismat I definitely agree with you on that one. I've spoken to many dealers about this, but I think there is a demand for Canadian coins in the US, and many of them buy coins based on American standards. Ultimately, buying coins for the eye appeal stays true.

Numismat likes this.
  17. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

When I said that it was "cleaned", I didn't mean that it was scrubbed. It has been dipped or lightly cleaned but, as others have said, any marks that were left by the cleaning are hidden or muted by the plastic. You aren't going to find a nearly 150 year old silver coin that is untoned in any manner .. and still looks "silver".

18. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

Isn't dipped and cleaned the same thing?

That's my understanding.

Draft saved Draft deleted