1871 seated Liberty dollar. cleaned, polished, or dipped?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by AirborneReams, Sep 14, 2020.

1. AirborneReams

AirborneReams Supporter! Supporter

I’m taking this coin to a local coin appraiser prior to getting it graded as I usually do. My question is does this coin seem like it’s been cleaned, polished, or dipped? There’s small micro lines under a loupe but not enough to show me it’s been cleaned but I am fairly new to coin collecting and selling. I’m leaning more towards dipped but if so will this coin still need graded or should I get a return for the coin? Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

It looks cleaned.

AirborneReams likes this.
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I will guess it would come back as AU Details Cleaned.

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree with others. That surface is not at all natural for a coin its age. That surface is at a minimum overdipped. Silver coins should never look like chrome.

AirborneReams and ZoidMeister like this.
  6. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Agree with overdipped. Still, it might sell better if certified.
    If you paid a problem-free price and you can return it, you probably should return it. JMO

capthank and AirborneReams like this.
  7. AirborneReams

I’m thinking harshly dipped but with how much I paid I was hoping to make a good dollar off of it down the road. I may post as dipped/cleaned it’s still a nice coin or get a refund.. I’m taking it with a few other coins to a local appraiser, thank you for the replies!

8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Just be careful with "local appraisers". Many people have come here with what their "local appraisers" said, and it was bunk. I would trust many here over most "appraisers" you find locally.

9. AirborneReams

This is true but this is a chain company that’s fairly large in WA that’s extremely reputable, I should have stated that. Now that I think about it saying a local appraiser doesn’t sound as professional lol.

10. AirborneReams

They told me it was harshly dipped as well as possibly lightly cleaned years ago, time to start a return..

longshot likes this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Definitely cleaned and probably would receive a Details grade.

12. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I am assuming it is a "white" coin ie little or no toning, correct? If so I think it's been dipped and had the original skin removed. Some of the images make me think the surface has been polished as it looks too reflective. there may have been a bit of rim filing on the rev. around 3:00.
    There seems to be little or no wear, which makes me think there should be some significant remaining luster, but I am not picking that up from the images.
    I see a hairline patch in the R obv field, that might be interpreted as cleaning, and some longer hairlines across Liberty's right leg.

13. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Very cleaned

14. AirborneReams

Very detailed response thank you!

ksparrow likes this.
  15. AirborneReams

Coin is in transit to previous owner and will be fully refunded, this is the second coin I’ve gotten from them that was cleaned that I’m very disappointed. The other was a high ms 1921 D DMP which is good money but as soon as I got it I put it back in its package due to its heavy cleaning that was obvious without a loupe. I can’t believe some people will do these things to coins that can sell for a great amount. Thank you again everyone for the replies!

capthank likes this.
  16. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Maybe look for a different seller as this one seems to sell problem coins and not disclose it

Dynoking and Oldhoopster like this.
  17. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

Looks like a cleaned AU to me. Definite wear on the thigh and hair. I don't see any evidence of remaining luster. Probably a details grade if you sent it to a TPG.

18. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

surface looks like a Morgan that I over dipped

19. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Good choice to return it. Better luck in the future

20. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I sure can't add anything to the post as its all been said above. The "give away" for me was the slight halo around the stars. Dipped and probably "rubbed" with a Q-Tip.
    Welcome to CT BTW.

Draft saved Draft deleted