1871 seated dollar inquiry real or fake

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Profit man, Dec 4, 2021.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I know the Chinese factories have been striking copies on silver planchets for a long time, but I'd expect those to look better than this one. Until OP comes back with details on how he tested it for silver, I'm not convinced that it is.

micbraun likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Curious to know if you found it for sale, or actually own the item. If you own it, how did you acquire it?

4. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

That's the best response yet. Dead giveaway that it's fake.

5. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Depending on the density of the silver plate, could it not allow the magnet to work? Just curious. Very deceptive coin, Fake. Thank you.

6. JP@

JP@ Well-Known Member

I was going to say Muppet Nose... walrus works too. :woot:

manny9655 likes this.
  7. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Silver or not, I think it’s a guy in a dress. Nothing wrong with it today, but back in 1871… just imagine the outrage!

8. Tamaracian

Tamaracian 12+ Yr Member--Supporter

@Profit man I have the same coin only with much more detail (EF-45)--so much so that it fooled the folks at ANACS until they tried to remove a dark streak on the Eagle's Breast (I submitted, asking them to Conserve and then slab the coin with the appropriate grade). It was die struck from Silver Plated Brass. When the ANACS personnel used--I presume--an acidic solution to try an remove the dark streak, the brass color started to show through. If you weigh you coin--although it shows wear--it may in fact not be worn from actual circulation, but rather from the original used to make the dies (either by the Electroplating Process or by Hubbing).

Design weight of an 1871 Seated Liberty Dollar is 26.73 gm +/- 0.388 gm; and Coin Silver is 1.366 times the weight of Brass; my FAKE Dollar weighed 20.08 gm, and yours will definitely weigh light if made from Brass or Steel (which I doubt).

I also have an 1853 Type 1 Gold $1 and a 1914 $5 Indian; the 1853 was Cast, and the 1914 was Struck; both were actually made from 90% gold. I will post a story about all 3 of them in the future, along with photos (when I get around to taking them).

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Didn't even have to look at the images. That was all I needed.

10. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I live outside a small town in Eastern North Carolina. I'm not that versed in counterfeit coins. Fortunately, I buy few coins over the Internet. I usually only but from the Mint for those coins or medals that they sell. However, I do like to read about coins in my magazines and Coin Talk. I appreciate the information that you folks tell us in the event that something fishy does come up.
    Thanks for all your information and help.

Kentucky likes this.
  11. Steve Shupe

Steve Shupe Active Member

Fake. Weigh the coin and compare to the official weight is a good basic test. The dentils are not correct as well.

12. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

Fake. Run away Forrest.

13. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Tamaracian, posted: "I have the same coin only with much more detail (EF-45)--so much so that it fooled the folks at ANACS until they tried to remove a dark streak on the Eagle's Breast (I submitted, asking them to Conserve and then slab the coin with the appropriate grade). It was die struck from Silver Plated Brass..."

:rolleyes: NUTS!

The date on that POS is so crude I'd bet the secretaries at ANACS would even guess it was a fake if someone asked for their opinion.

14. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Profitman…. If you have to ask about this coin, you shouldn’t be buying classic US coinage. It’s a silly fake.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted