1871 Penny, What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by 7Jags, Aug 14, 2022.

1. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    This one very much surprised me (well maybe a little worse than that).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

I think I see some flattening of the high spots on both sides, so I’m guessing AU58+. This is a very nicely preserved specimen that I like a lot, so forgive me if my grade is wrong. It seems me and TPGs are always at odds when it comes to grading (but i’m getting better)…also, the darkened toning indicates previous contact handling, maybe smoothing those surfaces. But the toning works beautifully…really attractive coin…imo…Spark

4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

A tad too many soaks in acetone/ Xylene to remove the spots.
    There is zero skin on that coin
    Needs about 5 years in a coin cabinet.

5. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Not sure if you guys clicked the image to blow it up but quite nice wear pattern. P&G, interesting comment. In hand though, the lustre particular on the reverse is blooming with full cartwheel, and amazing silky lustre. The reverse is as good as I have on a Vicky penny. THe obverse shows quite a few die polishing lines and a very small bit of planchet roughness in front of Vicky's neck, her bust and to the right of neck in the field. However hair detail is really good as are the decorative thistle and rose at top of gown. The spots are oxidation and not stains so I am pretty sure that even strong organic solvents would not touch.

Maxfli likes this.
  6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Interesting, severely clashed obv.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice looking coin. I didn’t know your and Victoria were such friends as you do call her Vicky. :)

8. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

LOL. Well not the best of friends....Not my cup of tea exactly although looks-wise she came off well on early coins.

9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

We, her friends, always called her Tori for short. She hated it, but it stuck.

10. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

LOL
    Sounds like either a Beach girl name or a stripper!

11. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I think it was Ben Disreali who first "coined" it and it varied in spelling from Tori to Tory from the 1850s on...

Draft saved Draft deleted