1871 Liberty Nickel from Coin Show Yesterday

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Eduard, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I found this coin at a small coin show yesterday. I did not have my U.S catalog with me but I vaguely remembered the 1871 nickel is fairly scarce.
    I decided to take a chance on it for 55 euros ($61).

How did I do and how would you would guys grade her?

The coin cost more than $50, otherwise I would have posted it in the 'under $50' thread.

Thanks!

IMG_4925_opt.jpg IMG_4932_opt.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Not my series. But It's not bad. I'd say XF details cleaned. It also looks to be double struck. There is a pretty nice ghost image of the 5 to the north with a slight rotation on the reverse.

John77 likes this.
  4. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

Au55 -58

Sent from my C6740N using Tapatalk

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

That's a Shield nickel not Liberty ,and yes the coin is a better date, there's some nice clashes on the rev.
    The die crack that runs around the obv. Is also very interesting , you'll need to do something to arrest the green growth on the coin. A dip and perhaps some Verdi care. Mintage 561,000 a semi key of the series. Xf condition
    A $325. Coin in xf

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    paddyman98 likes this.
  6. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

7. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thanks for your input. I'll put in acetone, that should take hopefully care of the green deposits. All in all happy to have it for the price paid. I take note of the peripheral die crack and possible double strike. Will look at it a bit closer.

The same seller also had four trade dollars all priced to me below 90 euros. One of them, an 1876 S looked quite nice and about EF; also an 1877 cc also in about EF but with a prominent edge knock for 30 euros.

8. Paddy54

Make sure you check those trades out for being counterfeits . I can't recall the link but Google it there's a site where you can go to give you pups of real v fake. Shouldn't be hard to find. I believe that you may find the lead here on CT to that site.

9. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

I concur with most of the others here: EF-40 (cleaned). On the bright side, it's likely worth a little more than you paid for it...

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

That's a great deal, even with damage -- if it's a genuine coin. With Trade dollars, though, the odds are against you. You'll occasionally find a seller offering one at a low price because he doesn't know what it is, but you'll very frequently find a seller offering fakes (sometimes, again, because he doesn't know what it is).

11. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

And here I was thinking I made a great deal on the 1871 nickel.
    In fact, in hand the coin looks quite good, but the brutally clear pictures in plain sunlight did bring out the light hairlines on the reverse.

Regarding the trade $, I said to the seller I would be back in 10 minutes to think about it. When I got back, they had all been sold. I do not regret it one bit - I am basically a copper and bust coin guy (with a sprinkling of seated), everything else is as it comes.

Paddy54 likes this.
  12. Paddy54

You made a great deal on that specimen , $60 for a coin that's 325.00 even details it's still a coin that doubled plus what you paid. Dip it, put it away allow it to re tone and no one but you will know the better.

13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

You did.

Ameliorate the PVC (I'm almost sure that's what it is) first, and then set to removing those hairlines by the same method all coins have always worn - handle it. Nickel is hard, and those hairlines won't be deep. Handle it just as it would have been handled in 1871 - a little time in your pocket, a little time in your hands being thumbed, don't wash your hands first. Circulate it while in your possession. :)

Take a year to do it. I bet those hairlines go away before you lose as much as 5 grade points, and you then have a gradable US$250-300 coin.

Paddy54 likes this.
  14. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

Send it to NCS for conservation and then grading by NGC.

Dynoking likes this.
  15. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

If you want to buy trade dollars, save yourself grief with slabbed coins.

16. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

This is probably what I would do. Circulate it as often as you can, keep other change in your pocket with it, just don't accidentally spend it.

17. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I would say you did just fine for $61. Nice pickup Eduard.

The local show here I ran buy on Friday - there was a large cent dealer with a whole bunch of really nice large cents. I must have stopped and looked for 30 minutes and that table. A few of the middle dates I needed his were too nice for my dansco album.

Paddy54 likes this.
  18. Eric White

Eric White Active Member

Nice pickup, as others have said, it's probably better you didn't get the trade dollars. So many fake trade dollars out there, is one coin that I would never buy without a slab.

19. Paddy54

@Eduard die crack on an 1869 Shield nickel that runs just about 360 degrees 1869 DC1.jpg 1869 DC 2.jpg 1869 DC4.jpg 1869 DC5.jpg 1869 DC 7.jpg 1869 DC 8.jpg

20. Paddy54

1869 DC 9.jpg 1869 DC10.jpg 1869 DC 11.jpg 1869 DC 12.jpg 1869 DC 13.jpg 1869 DC 14.jpg

Just about all the way around :)

21. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Paddy, many thanks for the very detailed pictures. Sure lots of die breaks on the coin!

I thought I would add some post-acetone bath pictures of my 1871. This is what the coin looks like. Very happy with it.

IMG_4969_opt.jpg IMG_4972_opt.jpg

Paddy54 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted