1869 Liberty Shield Nickel - Variety and Grade Opinions

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BigTee44, Sep 6, 2018.

1. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

Was hoping to get your opinion and if possible variety on this 1869 Shield Nickel.

It's currently at NGC and I did spend the $15 to get the variety added to the label.

My Guess

nickel.jpg nickel2.jpg

Michael K likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

XF45. Repunched date of some sort, but you gotta be careful with shield nickels... TONS of machine doubling for nearly every single year.

Edit... well, guess I missed the variety!

Paul M. and Paddy54 like this.
  4. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

It looks EF40. BUT...... I’m not too familiar with this series.

5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

@Paddy54 You work on this series don't you?

6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

All of the photos I am looking at online, the star points to the foot of the E.
    Perhaps a comparison photo.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  7. BigTee44

Also it splits the AM IN AMERICA

Michael K likes this.
  8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Correct Tommy especially variety coins of this series.
    This is a series that as for variety there are more unknown varieties than those that are cataloged.
    The dates 1868 and 69 remind me of the 1943 P Jefferson nickel. As it has over 73 known varieties known and always a chance there's a new one to be discovered.
    I have several references on the series , there's several that are close but no dead ringer from my sources. I do believe from the image provided it is a rpd and perhasp an mpd as well. The specimen in hand would perhasp again give a better clue as to a new find or an known variety.
    No matter what cool find and nice coin for sure.
    Thanks for pointing it out to me...I may of missed the post.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    *coins, Cheech9712 and tommyc03 like this.
  9. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Nice coin, looks 45 to me. + RPD

Paddy54 likes this.
  10. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

It looks like it could be an XF details. I'm not sure if it's the lighting playing tricks with me, but the surfaces don't appear right, it looks almost like light environmental damage.

The variety I am not familiar with, but it does appear to be a RPD of some sort.

11. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Low VF 35

12. Paddy54

Well it is an reverse hub lla the star under the "of" left hand star tip is broken and the next point points to the left foot of the F in of.
    All of the other stars line up to match the correct letters for this hub type.
    Obverse is A

13. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

EF-45, not sure on the variety.

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I think the date is MDD not RPD. Reverse hub type is is IIa (rev of 67), obv is wide date numerals with obv hub type A. there are die cracks that would help to identify the die pair if any reference ever comes out that is that comprehensive, but at this time there isn't. There are a GREAT many varieties for these coins, many more than are listed in references. There should be somewhere around 1000 die pairs for just this date.

The number of varieties that NGC identifies for this series is small compared to the known varieties (they only identify 4 1869 rev of 67 varieties and one of thise only identifies the rev type. One of the 4 has a narrow date which yours doesn't, and the other two aren't pictured.) and they have about a 40% identification error rate in the ones they do identify.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  15. BigTee44

well, that's not good news for my $15

16. Paddy54

[There should be somewhere around 1000 die pairs for just this date.]

True as a die striking these new thick platchets only lasted >10,000 strikes then exploded. Another reason why there's so many die cracks and cuds..... plus it was the mints first attemp to strike in Nickel, as before the 5 cent coin was in silver.[/QUOTE]

dwhiz likes this.
  17. Paddy54

I would soak it in actone and tooth pick around the date to get a better look at whats going on.

Hoky77, dwhiz and Paul M. like this.
  18. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

How did this turn out bigtee?

19. BigTee44

Still in line waiting. 18BD so far.

They did confirm reverse of 67 though

Cheech9712 likes this.
  20. BigTee44

21. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

conservative grade. did it get a variety?

Draft saved Draft deleted