1869 Cent

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by centsdimes, Feb 27, 2015.

1. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

I'm putting together two coin collections to give to my two nieces. I want the values to be approximately equal, so I need to know the value of this 1869 cent. I would call it an F-12 cent, but I think it's the cent I used copper cleaner on in the 1960's, when I was a boy. What would you say it's worth? Thanks. 1869 Cent C2 Obv.JPG 1869 Cent C2 Rev.JPG

HoosierDaddy likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I was going to say $1 until I checked the books. Not my field but even with the horrible cleaning, maybe $15-20?

centsdimes likes this.
  4. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

If I remember correctly, the coin was absolutely black when I came across it in my Dad's collection in the 1960's. I'd never been told not to clean coins, and it seemed dipping it in copper cleaner would be a good idea.

5. coins776

coins776 no title

even though the coin has problems there is no way that the average ebay buyer would let that coin slip by for $15.00-$20.00, try $40.00-$50.00.

centsdimes likes this.
  6. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

The headband and hair/ribbon junction point to EF details. It more appears to have a slow accumulation of dirt, especially on the reverse--doesn't look scrubbed anytime recently. It also appears to have wood-grain alloy issues too. You might try soaking for a short time in distilled water and see how that affects the discoloration.

7. matty 440

matty 440 Member

Yeah only 15 to 20 dollars I would buy it off you I just checked my books

8. aaronea

aaronea Member

An easy $40+. Those 69 IHC are hard to come by! If you want to sell it for $15 I'll buy it! Great coin

Draft saved Draft deleted