1868 Shield Nickel Die Crack?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Clens, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Clens

Clens Junior Member

Hi,

I've picked this coin up whilst not paying as much attention as I should have done; am I right in thinking there is a die-crack nearly all around the 'Star' side of the coin? I also wasn't sure if there was anything beside the right-hand laurels on the Shield side?

1868 Shield F.JPG

1868 Shield R.JPG

Any ideas as to grade and value greatly appreciated as we don't get to see many US coins in the UK, and I think it would be kinda cool to start collecting Shield Errors.

Thanks, Clens

easj3699 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

AFAIK are die cracks not considered "errors" but rather as "defects" resulting from excessive use of the die. I am not collecting Shield Nickels, but the coin looks AU to me.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    Clens likes this.
  4. easj3699

easj3699 Well-Known Member

100_1872.JPG There's a lot of die cracks/breaks in this series. Look around the date of this one. That die break is the only reason I bought it. I like them because not every one is the same.

Briboy07 likes this.
  5. Clens

Clens Junior Member

Nice one - I never realised there were so many variations.

easj3699 likes this.
  6. easj3699

easj3699 Well-Known Member

What is nice is your coin. Most of the shield nickels I see are slicks or corroded.

7. Clens

Clens Junior Member

I've an 1866 with Rays as well, I'll upload a picture when I can find it!

8. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I would consider a die crack an error. Mint defects are the same thing as error in my opinion. Check out this auction.. looks like NGC considers die cracks errors too.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006S-NGC-P...47?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item4624557dbf

Clens and Briboy07 like this.
  9. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

10. Briboy07

Briboy07 Well-Known Member

Wow neat die crack on the obverse, it almost made it all the way around.

Clens likes this.
  11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

There is also a crack from the rim thru the G-bottom of the O - across the top of the cross - to the R.

Briboy07 likes this.
  12. Clens

Clens Junior Member

Very helpful, thank you!

How did I miss that?! Thanks :)

13. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

So a coin with die cracks is an "error coin"?

14. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

In my opinion, yes. To me, an error is something from the mint that was not supposed to happen. Did you look at the NGC graded coin I posted a link to? They called a die crack an error.

15. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Yes, I've seen that. Interestingly it's not mentioned on any NGC slabbed Shield Nickel on eBay although many have obvious die cracks. A random example:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409333419.821418.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409333430.188493.jpg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  16. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

On a Proof coin I would agree, on a business strike it is more of a die state than an error

17. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Good point KJ, the Sacagawea is a proof coin, that's probably the reason why they mentioned it.

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If you consider a die crack to be an error, then almost every shield nickel is an error coin.

I don't see die cracks as errors, they are just an indication of the stages the die goes through as it is used. Today they retire a die when they develop, in the 19th century they often used them until several cracks developed. With the shield nickel, die life was so short that even though the cracks developed quickly the dies were kept in use as long as possible.

micbraun, Clens and LionelR like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted