1868 Gold Dollar - Deal or No Deal?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by HandsomeToad, Jun 28, 2008.

1. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

Howdy fellow coin peeps, :thumb:

What's your opinion on this Gold Dollar? Deal or No Deal (aka: real or counterfeit)? :hammer:

Ribbit :)

Ps: I'm concerned about the denticles on the reverse from 9 o'clock to 1 o'clock plus the lack of crispness in the legends. :kewl:

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

It's counterfeit.

4. earlyrarecoins

earlyrarecoins New Member

I'm not sure how you can say it's counterfeit so easily.

I just check two other 1868 examples, and the diagnostics match perfectly. Most fakes are easy to detect by checking the date position, or position of the letters in regards to the denticles.

It certainly could be a fake, but nothing is leading me to believe it.

5. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

I've been wrong in the past, but I do not think this is one of them. The metal flow does not appear correct, the strike is much much weaker than a typical 1868, the letters are quite fat unlike every 1868 gold dollar I have examined. There appears to be a small rim spike at 6 ocklock on the obverse.

6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

The spacing and proportion of the lettering are suspect. Plus, if indeed it is authentic, it has been cleaned.

7. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

What about the edge/rim on the obverse, from 1 o'clock to 5 o'clock? Almost looks like a casting seam?

Ribbit :)

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Looks like a fake to me -

Attached Files:

9. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Just doesn't look right , colors off , dead looking , do you have a better picture , also a picture of the reeding , ie third side ?
    rzage

10. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

Interesting you called the edge the "third side". :eek:

There are people that say there are always 2 sides to every story (supposed Coin Rule) but what they don't realize is there's usually 3 - one or the other and then, the truth. :D Any judge should know this because they know not always is the actual truth being presented and it's their job to piece things together to come to the truth. Therefore, the Coin Rule is - Heads, Tails, Both and/or Neither (standing on edge). :cool:

Ribbit :D

Ps: That's the only pics I have at this time. It isn't mine, I posted it here for someone else. ;)

11. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

Perhaps I can't/won't say it's counterfeit as easily as he did, but it looks bad to me too.

Edited to add: It might just be a cleaned coin and/or images that make it look suspect, but the images are all we have to go by, and the coin looks off to me.

12. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

No deal.

Totally dead luster and funky pits, so it's a very troubled coin at best. Something about the spacing in the date numerals looks wrong.

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

In the picture I posted (which was just a blow up of the original picture posted) - look at the edge of the coin. See the line going through the reeding. Looks like a casting line to me.

14. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

NO DEAL!

Lots of detail -- no luster.

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

Not sure if it is a counterfeit (nothing jumps out saying so) or just cleaned, but either way it is a PASS coin to me.

15. Leadfoot

p.s. GDJMSP, while it may be a casting seam, it looks like the edge to me (as the photo is taken at a slight angle).

16. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Looks like another casting line at 8 o-clock on the reverse .
    rzage

17. Catbert

Catbert Evil Cat

Danger, Will Robinson?

18. Haleiwa

Haleiwa New Member

Wonder why such a specimen is not slabbed by now? If it was yours . . . wouldn't U slab it? :goof:

19. cerdsalicious

cerdsalicious BigShot

Counterfeit.
    Seems Lebanese. Higher quality gold then used, akward spacing and lack of luster since they just struck the planchets didn't clean or polish them.

20. Leadfoot

Wow, I almost responded (again) to this thread before I noticed it was two years old. ;)

21. Leadfoot

p.s. anyone seen the 'Toad lately? I miss the guy -- he was one of the more entertaining posters around here. "Howdy Coin Peeps". :)

Draft saved Draft deleted