1867 Shield Nickel...your opinions

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Indianhead65, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Appears cleaned to me also. Seller has good ratings, if you can trust eBay ratings, and claims to have been a long time dealer. He does take returns, which is a plus for him. The price, in my opinion, is too high for a problem coin and I think this is a problem coin.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

I would have bought this coin at the right price but not $155 dollars. I know enough to know what to look for but I wanted to get more opinions. I value the opinions of those I know from Cointalk....and some that I don't know. Regardless of where it came from or how the owner recieved the coin doesn't matter to me. I did however decide not to buy this particular coin and opted for another for a little higher price that wasn't cleaned. I couldn't believe how hard it is to find an 1867 Shield Nickel with Rays that isn't severely worn or has damage. I happen though to like die cracks.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  4. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

And that's OK. But knowing the history (or "provenance") of a coin can go a long way in helping some collectors make a decision about a particular coin. That's why you will often see someone post their coin with the added "ex-John X. collection" or with an old auction envelope: It just adds to the veracity, or credibility of the coin or seller. It's not an attack! :D

5. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

I would say YES

Draft saved Draft deleted